Sign in to follow this  
corymcarthur

vw corrado alternator

so my corrado has been sitting for 7 years... and i finally pulled it out and started fixing it up to get it back on the road and i ran into a small problem. I put a new battery into it and started it up .... it started fine with no warning lights coming on (thats on 7 year old gas...oil..fluid...) so i start driving it in first and its fine so i take it for a short ride up and down my street..... apon coming back up in first the car starts to die so im sure the alternator is not sending power to the battery and its strickly running off battery, so my question is what alternator will work in a 1990 g60 corrado. im looking for compatible (golf,jetta,passat) alternators that i can remove and put in my corrado

Check the wiring around the Alt as it tends to get cracked and ruined (especially if it’s been sitting round for a while) failing that take the alt to a good auto electrician they should be able to rebuild it or give you a rebuilt exchange unit for a reasonable price.

I think the casing, or part of the casing, is unique to the G60, but the internals, bearings, windings and diode plates are the same as other similar aged VW's with the same rated bosch units, I've put 8v internals into a 16v casing for example.