Sign in to follow this  
jamie_h_1979

After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Hi Guys

I recently purchased some aftermarket gauges for my G60 to measure boost and oil pressure. I can install the Boost gauage no problem at all however with the oil pressure sender it is a mechanical sender which bolts on somewhere, presumably on top of the oil filter housing (is this right?) and also what happens to the stock sender for the idiot lights? I have read somewhere that you maybe need a T-Piece to run both sensors in parallel and enquired about such a component in Halfords and the guy tried to sell me a plastic t-piece for boost lines!!!! :|

Somebody must have fitted one of these before or know where i can get the t piece adapter if it is actually required?!

Thanks in advance

James

you can use either a brass screw in T piece that gives you 2 more threads, or a pressure sender with 2 connections that replaces one of your existing oil pressure warning switches on the filter housing.

Which sensor should the sender be fixed to, the high pressure or low pressure or does it not make much difference? The mechanical sender i have is that shown here http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Oil-Filt ... pters.aspx although i cant install the sandwich adapter as i already have an oil cooler!

Just read that i can set the gauage to indicate when high pressure is reached, so does anyone know what pressure this is set to on the stock sensor??

I think that the thread on the oil filter housing is M10 (can anyone confirm this please?) and the thread on the sender is 1/8NPT which i assume is somesort of American Standard (any idea what that is in metric??)

Cheers

ideally you want an OEM type sender, made by VDO, this will have the correct thread, both the pressure gauge sender and you existing pressure warning switches have the values stamped onto the bottom of them, something like 0.3 bar and 1.2 bar for low and high, it's not actually high really BTW, it's a warning for low pressure at over 2000rpm as opposed to idle (0.3 bar one)

This is the VDO type sender, several are available, 0-10 bar or 0-5 bar and some replace the 0.3 bar warning switch, others the higher value switch

gauge.jpg[/attachment:bdezbtgr]