Sign in to follow this  
Albie

Foxguard fob not working - can I resynchronise fob?

Hi. I have an original fitting (I think) Foxguard alarm immobiliser system. I have 2 fobs for it. These are small black rectangles 5cm by 3cm with 2 soft touch buttons on the front face, one with a dimple and one with a bump, an LED in the top left corner, a slider switch on the right edge and a white 3 pin socket on the left edge.

They worked perfectly for years as did the alarm system overall. A few weeks ago I came back to the car and it just refused to respond to the day to day fob at all. I thought the fob battery may have had died even though the led still went on when pressed so I got the backup. That was the same and had no effect.

I opened the door, setting off the alarm which was armed, and disconnected the battery. After a couple of minutes I reconnected and the alarm seemed fine and stayed off but still would not respond to either of the fobs. I was able to drive the car around like this, only locking the door with the key, for a week or so. Just today I have gone out again to try to figure things out and have disconnected the battery to clean up all of my earth and power connections. When I have reconnected the battery the alarm is now activated and goes off. Still no response to the fobs. If I leave it it resets and now sits active ready for my next move!

I have read of a resynchronising process for the fob with a TVR Foxguard alarm. This does not appear to work on mine. I am wondering if the battery has gone down in the fob and in the backup as it has had no use for a long while. Can anyone shed any light on this or help me with the synchronisation process?

This post was on the - ahem - TVR forum, (sorry about that, it wasn't me it was google).

Re-Synchronising Foxguard Alarms

Mar 96

Foxguard have found that a large proportion of returned F1-11 units are not actually faulty but simply out of synchronisation with the Radio Key. The F1-11 uses a random encryption antiscan grabcoding system. If the Radio Key is operated out of range of the car the key wilI transmit a coding signal but the receiver in the alarm will not recieve it. If this happens the coding in the Radio Key moves on but the unit will not. This will cause problems if the Radio Key is regularly pressed and released while out of range.

If the Radio Key no longer operates the alarm systern, try the spare one. If the system is operating correctly this indicates the first remote is simply out of synchronisation. It is possible to resynchronise the Radio Key:

1. Stand next to the car.

2. Press the left hand button on the Radio Key, the LED on the Radio Key will become solid.

3. Keep the button depressed for at least 3-4 seconds.

4. Release the button and immediately press the button again for 1-2 seconds.

The Radio Key is now back in synchronisation with the alarm. You may have to try a few times before the system will respond correctly, if you don't do step 4 quickly enough - the button need only be released for a split second.

Guess what I'm prone to do when I have the key and my hand in the same pocket! (Keep it clean please). I wonder if this is the case for my own alarm fobs?

I have measured the fob battery voltage and it reads 11.75V but that is off load and these dry cell batteries are notorious for dropping severely under load, especially the higher voltage low current types like this one. I'll get a new battery tomorrow and try the suggestion above and the one the TVR guy suggests too. Thanks for the heads up.

Any more suggestions welcome in the meantime.

Just thought a picture of the fob may help identify a fix.

Anyone know what the white 3 pin socket on the left of the unit is for?

Just spoken with the guys at Bridgewater who were very helpful but they are mystified. They say it is definitely not a Foxguard key fob as it doesn't fit the description of any unit ever released by Foxguard. It had a Foxguard logo and name on the small sticky strip which normally covers the LED and tuning cap hole.

Please can anyone identify this fob or am I completely screwed here? I don't even know where to look for an identifying mark on the main unit.