Sign in to follow this  
jonybravo

Removing wheels- mission impossible

I've never known it so difficult to remove a wheel on a car, got a puncture last weekend and need to change the front wheel. The wheel nut wrench that comes with the car doesn't fit the nuts, so i bought a wrench from halfords which has 4 ends which are 17mm, 19mm, 21mm and 23mm. None of them fit the whee nuts either.

Anyone help?

should be 17mm as far as im aware. only thing is to go back to halfords n get the correct sized socket. maybe some one has fitted different sized heads. or retapped them to bigger size... you got modded wheels or standard?

strange!

might need rubber mallet to knock them off if been on for a while.

dont think can be any more help with that one sorry mate

Looks to me to be a standard 17mm VW wheel bolt, is your socket fitting right on? there doesn't look to be a lot of room around the head

EDIT: just noticed your using a wheel wrench which will be pretty chunky? get a socket

ok, i'll try a socket, many thanks for the resonses

got this problem with the wheels i have on mine. A socket will def get them off, the wrench is too chunky to get deep enough into the hole (oo eer) and also tapers for the 19mm side.

im sure that looks like the standard locking wheel nut, iv got one on each of mine....they dont do anything. cuz there nackered, i just use 17mm.