Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

16V camshaft chain

Has the short chain between the 2 camshafts on an ABF got a split link, or does one of the camshafts have to come out to change the chain?

Best wishes

RB

they both have to come out to change the chain! lol just done mine! no split link! it wont take two long! just remove all cam carriers and mark them, take photos of where they where and then take the cams out

take chain off

put the engine to top dead centre 1st

put new chain on

then put cams in making sure the two markings meet horizontaly on the cam sprokets

then put ur cam carriers on thright way lol (i did mine wrong and wondered why it wouldnt turn)

torque up to 15n/m from memory

oh and you will need to remove the cam pulley to remove the inlet cam so do that 1st, you might need to get somebody to help with that one, make a tool to hold the pulley whilst you undo the bolt!

hope this helps a lil bit, ph and lube it all up with oil when you put it back together! and test it turns over with a spanner after!

Thanks. There's a rattle at that end of the engine, so I think that's where it's coming from. I have to do the cover gasket so I might as well do the chain as well. So far 190 000 miles without any engine work apart from belt and tesioner twice, so not bad. But generally dismal electrics, especially window winders and other stuff (B4 Passat).

Best wishes

RB

no worries yer shes going well! by the sound of it! so is that in a passat? they are nice engines most reliable 16v i reckon also witht he oil squirters helps prolong the life of the engine.

low risk minor thing, remember to undo and redo the cam bolts progressively so the valve springs don't cause the cam to bend as you remove, they're not so good at bending :)

This is rusty's head off the car.

it's at top dead center in the pic, i must say i agree with bolting it back up bit by bit across all bolts

S1032325.JPG

Oh sorry about all the tissue... Rusty got a bit excited by engine internals!! :norty: