Sign in to follow this  
yeti

What is the 3rd wire on the stereo -> amp cable?

i have fitted my old speaker set up out of the corrado into the passat and was wondering what the 3rd small wire without a connector on it is on the lead which transmits the sound from the headunit to the amp.

Do i need to connect this as i havent powered up the amp yet as i've lost my amp -> sub wires and need to go the shop to get some new ones monday/tuesday

Is it blue? Sounds like the remote cable...

thanks jim, yeah is is a blue wire, i noticed theres also a remote terminal on the amp.

What does the remote do then

- sorry i am a complete ice newb as i only changed speakers and headunits before and got the people who installed my alarm into the C when i got it to put the sub in

Do i need to fit to somewhere on the back of the headunit and plug it into the amp, will this control it being on all the time?

The remote sends a signal to the remote device to switch on (and switch off again) when you turn the headunit on or off - there should be a remote wire cable you can tap into on the headunit wiring loom.

And don't worry - I'm an ICE newb as well.. gave Tempest a hand a few weeks back installing a sub into my car so learned about the remote cable then :)

It's basically the switch, turn stereo on and it sends a voltage down that wire, when that voltage exists the amp is on (fairly sure it's constant and not just a pulse but hopefully someone will correct me if wrong)