Sign in to follow this  
veedub16v

water temp not working

the water temp gauge is not working on my 92 g60. ive unplugged the sender and shorted the wires but all it does it turn on the warning light on the dash, no movement from the gauge. do the gauges in the cluster tend to break on the corrados? if it is the actual gauge can it be removed from another set of clocks and swapped over?

also, whats the 3rd water temp sender for (on top in fromnt of the blue one) is that an air con thing?

cheers

mark

no, the sender directly under the blue one. theres 3 on the water outlet on mine. blue and grey on top and black underneath, the grey one is unplugged

Sure there should only be two even with air con - do you have air con?

The new flanges from VW now have 3 ports so you buy a blanking plug with it - sounds like it was bought without one and an old sensor was used instead...

Have you tried reading the resistance of the 2 pins on the black sensor?

no i dont have air con. ill go test the resistance in a minute. but shouldnt the gauge shoot up if the two wires are joined? thats whats making me think its the gauge thats broken. the warning light for if it overheats is coming on when they are joined so the wires seem ok

Yeah, think it should so you're probably right, worth checking the sensor first though...

(just wanted to check you were looking at the right thing)

the senders showing a resistance of 14k ohms (i think i got the scale right! 14 somethings lol)

i think your right about the outlet being a replacement, it does look new

can the gauges be swapped in the clusters then?