Sign in to follow this  
russvr6

brake pads problems

i changed the front brake pads the other day on my vr6 now everytime i go for a drive the discs get red hot and the pads smoke can anyone suggest whats wrong?

Welcome to the forum, Did you clean the sliding surfaces and re-grease?

Correct pads?

Unlikely to be both calipers seized although maybe very old fluid being pushed back into the housing could maybe cause this...

I think you need to jack the car up asap and see if they are binding.

the brakes aren't seizing cos i've taken the wheels off and the pistons are retracting properly. I was wondering if the brake fluid that probably does need changing but could that actually cause this?

It's unlikely but could do I suppose if very old... must be binding in some way...

You sure everything (clips etc) are in place and seated correctly, nothing bent or distorted...

There is an anti squeel thing that fits inside the piston itself and just the spring things on the pads need to be under the caliper body - I'm sure they are fine but seen some mis-fitted in the past

i haven't got any anti squeel things in the pistons and yeah the the clippy things on the pads on in the middle of the caliper just really don't know what is causing it

I put new discs and pads in mine last month and had no issues..If they are getting that hot then surely they must be rubbing but you reckon when the car is jacked up the wheels run free :confused4:

new thick pads will mean the pad/carrier, slider bolts and caliper piston are all working in a position that they haven't been in for quite a while (since the previous pads were new) so they may not be moving freely and releasing properly.

best strip them off again and make sure everything is clean and free.

JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 16V

THIS WAS BECAUSE THE PISTON HAVING BEEN PUSHED BACK INTO THE CALIPER AND AS STATED WORKING IN A NEW POSITION,AND HAVING APLYED THE BRAKES RETURNED VERY SLOWLEY

THE SOLUTION WAS TO REMOVE THE CALIPER EASE BACK THE RUBBER DUST SHEILD AROUND THE PISTON AND WHIPE WITH COPPER BRAKE GREASE

REPLASE WITH ONLY THE OUTSIDE PAD AND APLY THE BRAKES THE PISTON WILL NOT REACH THE END OF ITS TRAVEL AND CAN THEN BE EASED BACK IN,

DO THIS A FEW TIMES TO FREE IT UP

REPLASE SECOND PAD AND OF YOU GO!!!!