Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Anybody run a UK model early Impreza turbo?

Theres a guy that is selling one locally and Im tempted as I fancy a daily with a bit more poke plus it has the necessary towbar and decent boot. It the estate version UK model.

Its got about 100k miles but it is completely standard (and would stay that way) so shouldnt have fallen into the wrong hands. Just had a new clutch and service. Just wondering if anybody has owned one or heard of serious issues. Im presuming a cambelt change is a bit of a bugger.

I would like some objective views hence why Im asking here. Only issue I can see is insurance as it would go on my 2nd car NCB, only 1 year.

everyone i know thats had one has suffered the snapped crank problem and they aint cheap to fix. one mate spent 4k on a rebuild and it was a standard car.

at the end of the day they are just protons with turbos (and someone flattened the engine!) not one of the early models came with bucket/sport seats standard, they were an option. standard looked like summat out of a horror movie with no bolsters at all!

just been talking to a mate who has one, said be wary of any over 90k, as thats when they are most sussceptible

Ah sod that, stupid running something like that. Going to look at a Mk5 Golf Tdi 4motion tomorrow. Once remapped it should fit the bill I think. Had a 140 before but it was crap to drive in the winter due to the torque, hopefully the 4motion should sort this plus it already has a towbar for towing the race bike. Does it sound like Ive talked myself into it already :lol: .