Sign in to follow this  
tbvr6

Front indicator lens removal

I am a newbie, so if this has been posted before and I missed it in my search, then apologies for that.

I have a 1994 VR6. It has one front indicator lens that has a chip in it and the other is okay, but both are a little bit more opaque than they should be. I bought a replacement set on ebay that are in really good condition.

The only thing is the ones on my car have an all clear/white interior. The new ones have an orange plastic insert just inside where the bulb sits. This is a bit annoying as it gives it that fried egg look which I want to avoid. I want an all white finish with chrome orange flashing bulbs to make the front look nicer.

So, my theory is to remove the lenses on the new ones and remove the orange insert or put new lenses on old indicator backs. I have read that you can heat the lenses up and then prise them off. Anyone done this? How hot can you get them so the glue melts and the lights don't?!

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Tony