Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

G60 boost pressure query after R/R Session?

Been to Well Lane Turbo Centre at Batley with my 91' G60 for a rolling road session today and came away with a bit of a query.

The technician was a bit stumped as his boost readings were giving him a max reading of 10 which he said was more normal for a standard G60, yet the C topped out at 197bhp, which was more normal for a chipped/pulley'd engine, (which was confirmed by G-Werks last summer, although type/make of chip unknown).

I'm a complete numpty when it comes to boost pressure, so can anyone shed any light? Is there something a-miss somewhere? :pale:

The Supercharger was serviced and P/P last year.

must be flowing well if its making good power with low boost figures. boost pressure is only a measurement of the pressure that is built up in the inlet manifold. in theory this is almost a waste as it means that the restrictions in your cylinder intake are such that the compressed air is not being fully used.

have you had any cylinder head work done?

But the air thats entering the engine is going in pressurised so although it is the measurement of restriction its still going in at that.

Boost = Torque

Strange - you'd expect 1 Bar (14/15 PSI) to produce that power...

Be interesting to see the graphs inc the torque plot

I reckon it must have had a ported head at some point.

I assume it feels good to drive - at that BHP should feel similar to a VR but faster / more urgent.

That may explain it, have got an old reciept from the 1990's listing some engine work = rebore, skimmed block, new gas flowed cylinder head, oversize pistons, different cam. 8)

WellLaneGraph09.JPG[/attachment:1itu8k24]

Hoping with a full S/S exhaust it might just get over the 200bhp mark.

Yep bingo - ported and flowed head will cause the lower boost pressure, especially if the cam has been played with before.

Very similar to what mine was putting out before I got the Golf G60 intercooler and had it remapped to suit. When you say oversize pistons is this a 1.9l or just an over bore? To put it into context as a 1.8 with a flowed head etc mine was making 212bhp on a very conservative RR.

Can't make your plot any bigger to have a look at the details though :(

Thanks guys, clears that up. :salute:

JMC - Receipt is a bit basic and just states "Supply 0.50 Oversize Pistons" for about £430. Was done by a place in Wales, 'AuudioGolfHits', and have been told that the place faded away once the owner passed away in the 90's. :(

Thanks guys, clears that up. :salute:

JMC - Receipt is a bit basic and just states "Supply 0.50 Oversize Pistons" for about £430. Was done by a place in Wales, 'AuudioGolfHits', and have been told that the place faded away once the owner passed away in the 90's. :(

Ah right, not a 1.9l rebore then. As Supercharged says still very good for a rebuild done 10 years ago :D