Sign in to follow this  
kris99

Help Required - Sleepless Nights :(

Hey folks,

Desperatly need some adivce here. I currently own a supercharged VR6 Corrado and plan on bringing it up to spec ready for the show season. Now trying to be sensibe, I thought I'd get the engine looked over making sure everything is in tip-top shape before I play around with alloys, touching up paint etc.

So I took it to a rolling road yesterday were she produced 250bhp, bit low in my opinion. The guy running the garage said that she is running lean and getting very hot on the rollers (around 50 degrees, not sure what was getting hot though as oil and water temps are spot on).

He stated that the loss in power was due to it running lean and to combat this I'd need to fit a fuel pressure regulater and to take out the ingectors and get them cleaned out. This would combat the running lean problem.

More worrying he siad that due to the heating up problem, if I drove the car hard over summer I'd melt a piston ring (new engine :( ) He recommended I install a FMIC to combat this.

Now I love Corrado's and this is my fourth in the past 2 years, however I'm no mechanic and all this has put the fear of god into me, making me think the car is gonna blow up.

Few questions then which I'd be very grateful if you's could answer.

1. What are folks opinions on the above comments?

2. Would a fuel pressure regualtor and cleaning the injectors stop the car running lean and if so, where do I source a fuel pressure regualtor?

3. This overheating problem, I've not heard of charged VR6's running FMIC. Is anyone running one and if so I take it these are a custome made number or is there someone out there who makes them?

4. Why do we spend so much time and passion over these cars? It's a bloddy love/hate relationship. :D :( :D

Hope you can help

Cheers

kris

When he says its getting hot around 50 degrees, what was he referring to?

What PSI are you running?

As for an FMIC, what charger do you have? I'm pretty sure with my V9 it would be impossible due to the route the pipework would have to go, you should look into water to air chargecooling such as PWR etc, but those really need to be mated to a short runner, so you'd be looking at the best part of a grand once fitted.

I don't know about an FPR, I guess its a good idea, tho I can't see what help getting the injectors cleaned would do, unless they are really old and gunked up and not spraying properly.

Has it been remapped? Do you have larger injectors?

I have FI as well and would be interested to hear others' opinions.

Also, someone told me (so it might be lies!) the more consecutive runs you do, the more power it will lose due to heatsoak...chargers run very hot and produce a lot of heat, so they may lose a bit of powerrrrrrr after a few runs. What was the first few runs showing power wise or was it down from the very first one?

And its deffo an OBD1 engine right? (I do know of a s/c VR which has an obd2, tho this was about 2 years ago and a cat C, I hope its not the same one!)

There is a old dyno graph showing 275bhp however looks like someone made it on the computer, not very proffesional looking.

There is a few dyno prints from Jabbasport showing 265bhp and the torque graphs are the same between that one and yesterdays.

All the work has been carried out by stealth about 5 years (24k ago) with a engine rebuilt which is eveidenced in previous magazines features and history. It's OBD1.

Dunno mate, sounds like you are running a 6psi V9 with those figures. Philmo has a similar setup on his and gets around 250 i think. Can you see the pulley on the charger (with a small mirror perhaps?) to work it out?

With an engine rebuild and 8 psi you'd be looking at 280/290 easy. Or 10psi for a Rotrex.

Reading original post, "getting hot" would point to air intake temps at the manifold, hence why an FMIC was suggested as a cure.

Yes, running lean would put you down on power and I also agree that you would melt a piston with the fuelling and heat issues over summer.

Reading original post, "getting hot" would point to air intake temps at the manifold, hence why an FMIC was suggested as a cure.

Yes, running lean would put you down on power and I also agree that you would melt a piston with the fuelling and heat issues over summer.

So would taking out the injectors, cleaning them and installing a fule pressure regulator combat this?

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

BTW the car had a top end rebuild about 25k ago.

One other question,

Those that are running tuned VR6's ie supercharged, how do you keep your engines cool?

Cheers

Kris