Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Gearbox ratios

Can anyone help with the gearbox/final drive ratios in the following cable change, hydraulic clutch transmissions;

CTM (Passat B4 16v)

CDA (Golf Mk3 GTi 16v)

I assume that, as both use the ABF engine, the CDA will fit my Passat.

I have posted a similar enquiry on ukpassats forum, but I know that a huge amount of knowledge resides here too so I am casting my net as widely as possible.

Best wishes

RB

HTH, from ETKA:

CDA

1st 33/10

2nd 35/18

3rd 34/26

4th 35/34

5th 36/43

FD, not sure, should be about 70:18 but all I can find is drive shaft listed as (teeth) z=10+18

for comparison corrado boxes are 9+19 or 9/17 depending on build date with only CHN? being 10/18

CTM

1st 34/9

2nd 36/17

3rd 35/24

4th 35/34

5th 36/43

FD 9+17

David

many thanks for that information. I don't quite understand the description of the final drive values you have given, but from another source have been advised that the CDA has a ratio of 3.68 (approx 70/19 according to my calculation).

The figures you quote do confirm my feeling that the CTM has low 1st 2nd and 3rd, with a wider gap to the same 4th and 5th as the CDA; no doubt this gives the heavier Passat good initial acceleration (marketing!!), but at the expense of flexibility in mid range overtaking. Drop from 4th to 3rd with the CTM and you run out of revs much too early for really strong passing in A/B roads.

There are ominous grumblings from the transmission and I am much more likely to find a good CDA second-hand, from a Mk3 Golf GTi 16v. It would be a bonus to have more usable mid range ratios at the expense of out-and-out traffic lights GP capability, and It is very rarely these days that I load the car to the roof with family and luggage and attempt the San Bernardino Pass !!

I assume that the CDA is a straight swap (bell-housing, clutch, gearchange, speedo connection.)

Thanks again.

Best wishes

RB