Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

ISOFIX retro fit?

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if there's anyway of retro fitting ISOFIX systems into cars?

Relative's looking at a "Classic" (with 3 point rears) and was wondering if there's a retro-fit ISOFIX system they can use as well?

ISOFIX is an integral part of a vehicles structure and cannot be retrofitted to any car

isofix is not an integral opart of the structure but is usually secured into a cross member or specially reinforced panel within a vehicle. If you were to look at the design of the corrado there is very few places other than the buckle bolt points that would allow it but there is not 2 correctly spaced points

There is no sure way of performing the necessary tests to decided whether or not its safe and how does a corrado shell perform in crash?

i can only hazard a guess that the seat belt mounts will not move but i wouldnt want to be welding/and bolting mounts into a vehicle not specifically designed for it.

I think thats what andy was saying - the structure of the car is designed to preserved these points in the event of a crash and without alot of clever thinking then maybe you could redesign it inh but why bother as if you were to ever crash and baby was injured or worse as a result of the work carried out failing then i'd imagine you'd want to sue someone....

I certainly wouldnt modify/fit anything and i dont think you'd find anyone to fit it due to the legal repercussions

isofix might be a good idea in theory, it also helps prevent poor fitting, but the seats are usually twice the price and not transferable to any non-isofix car.

isofix might be a good idea in theory, it also helps prevent poor fitting, but the seats are usually twice the price and not transferable to any non-isofix car.

more expensive as they are safer, far more structurally solid and yeah cos you can be sure you've fitted them right they're even safer :cheers:

Yes, all true... ISOFIX IS a good idea in theory... And in practice!!!

If your kids are not worth the extra few quid for the seat then I'd be quite surprised...

Also, most ISOFIX seats DO transfer to other cars. I have 2 ISOFIX seats now (younger and older sizes) and they have both been in the c...

LOL.... I should have a job with ISOFIX... ;-)

Had a look at Recaro and their baby seats seem to have a seperate ISOFIX base so that's the best of both worlds covered... as well as a seat that goes from 0-3 and another from 3-12! :clap:

Can never introduce the young into teh ways of Recaros too young eh? :clap: