Sign in to follow this  
RDH

9A starting problems

Hi, have got a 94 2.0 16v, recently I have struggled to start it, intermittent at first, but today it refuses to start.

When the ignition is turned on I can hear the fuel pump prime, when I start the car it fires, the revs build to about 1500 and then it dies, you can hear the fuel pump whirr again.

Is this likely to be the ignition switch??, reading threads on here it seems to be a common cause of starting issues (and back problems) or should I look at other things.

The car has a Toad alarm/ immobiliser which seems to be operating ok.

Any help appreciated.

Rich

Could be a few things really, worth trying an ignition switch (don't actually need to fit it to test) if it's not been changed recently - ie will need doing at some point.

Same goes for the ECU relay.

Have you got AA cover or similar - worth calling them out for free diagnosis if you have!

Cheers for reply, do you know number of ECU relay?, actually when the engind dies I can hear a relay clicking.

Thanks

Rich.

mine turned out to be one of the knock sensor wires broken would fire up when wire was touching then die if they seperated

Hmm, where are the knock sensor wires?, Do think it is electrical, as it has been worked by a complete numpty at some point.

Cheers for reply

Rich.

Ok, scanned for errors (with one of those hand held fault code readers), came up with

17879 EVAP Emission Contr.LDP Circ Short to B+ .

Anyone got any ideas what this means?, or is my (cheap) code reader spouting crap.

Rich.

Can your code reader clear the codes? If it can, clear the codes, run it and read it again to make sure what your seeing are fresh errors not just old stuff.

That error seems to refer to the EVAP system, there are 2 solenoids in the emissions control system down by the metering head, should be 2 flatish disc shaped objects with a 2 pin electrial connector going to each one and a load of pipework linking back to the inlet system. Check the connectors incase the wires going into them are broken or frayed. I don't think they would cause the issues you are having with the car not running though to be honest, the conversion in my car doesn't have the valves at all and seems pretty happy. :)

I think your best bet is to check over all the rubber ducting and pipework on the inlet system for splits, the boot from the metering head has a habit of splitting underneath and letting the engine draw in unmetered air.

Cheers, will check that out, good to gather a list of possibilities, going to have a good look this weekend.

Will clear the codes and try again.

Thanks again

Rich

[i think your best bet is to check over all the rubber ducting and pipework on the inlet system for splits, the boot from the metering head has a habit of splitting underneath and letting the engine draw in unmetered air.

Do you think this could cause the problem with starting, or would it cause the error code?

Cheers Rich