Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

Hub Nut Coming Loose :S

ok so the story goes. the car was making a weird noise. shook on the wheel and the wheel wobbled a weeny bit, took wheel of everything was steady. could only put it down to hub nut. and yes it was. tightened it up and went to VW to get a new one. all i can presume is that when its had bearings done they have used the old hub nut and its dump. so put new one on and again its started to come loose again. tightenend it back up today used a torque wrench last time but didnt have one today so have just done it tight! lol.

should there be a split pin through the stub axle to stop this happening?

any other ideaS?

NOt sure if a split pins is used on a VW :confused4: When i done my Punto GT hub last year the hub nut had to be crushed.. The axle had two slots in it and you crushed the end of the nut into the slots and that prevents it from moving...

I had this problem on my old ROCKET, and again put a new wheel bearing on it. And again the hub nut came loose again. So IO took it in to a local garage, and they said that the hub had worn dew to the wheel bearing problem. So had a new outer hub and wheel bearing, all sorted and it never happened again :)

Use Cheese :dance:

Sorry.....If its the rear axle, then yes it should have a split pin in there.

If you just changed the bearings may take a bit for them to seat correctly, mine did when i did them.

its a front o/s wheel, its just strange, its only just started doing it and if its from when the bearing was replaced that would of been nearly a year ago!! lol

the VR hub nuts are torqued up and then turned like stretch bolts aren't they? rather than the highly torqued 4 cylinder ones, 12 rather than 6 points nuts IIRC.

sounds like the outer CV shaft is damaged, possibly from the garage that did the bearing using the wrong info to torque up the hub nut?