Sign in to follow this  
Albie

How many positions in an ignition switch?

Can anyone confirm something about the wiring of the ignition switch on my '93 16V? Are there 3 or 4 positions including Off?

I am fitting an alram and their schematic shows 4 with coloured codes, I think there should be 4, all of the literature I can find talks about 4, even the schematic I have attached shows the correct wire colours in the loom, but it only shows 3 positions. Are they doing something stupid like showing it in the first On position, for accessories only, and not showing an Off position at all? That surely can't be correct.

Even turning on the switch is inconclusive. Its feel is a bit soft and it seems like 3 on the way On and 4 on the way Off. This is surely 4 and the diagram is somehow wrong. Can someone just confirm this please so I can get on with the work with confidence?

Think I've moved on a bit here. I have now realised the following.

Position 1), not indicated in the posted picture but indicated as 'Lock' in the alarm schematic, is with the key actually removed from the lock. Nothing shows 12V here except the Red permanent live feed.

Position 2), Brown/Red live, is with the key inserted and either pushed in against the barrel spring where it can return and switch off again when allowed, or turned so the barrel screws in slightly and the detent locks it in place. When turned backwards, the connection is then locked in until the key is removed again and the barrel jumps back out. This is labelled 'Accessory' in the alarm drawing.

Position 3), Black/Yellow and Black both live, is with the key turned until it meets the starter spring, ie as far as it will go without starting the engine. This is labelled 'On' for the alarm.

Positions 4), Red/Black and Black both live, is with the key in the sprung start engine position, labelled 'Start'.

Confirmation that I am seeing this correctly would be great. I never knew something so simple and everyday could be so confused! The posted schematic picture now looks correct, the key removed is the 4th position which it does not show. Make sense?