Sign in to follow this  
C.P

non sliding sunroof

what is it that stops the sunroof from sliding?

had a wee look while i had the roof lining off a while ago but didn't really get anywhere with it at the time but now i quite fancy having my sunroof for the summer months.

any info about fixing it would be much appreciated :wink:

It's the common fault where one side of the mechanism will snap which results in the mechanism failing to work. There is no easy way round it - you need to source the sunroof repair kit from your VW dealer (approx £60 I think) and set aside a day or two to work on it. There was a sunroof repair guide which you should be able to find if you hit up the search :)

Yeah the passenger side mech is common to failing but you can NO longer get the parts from vw as they have dropped them as i recently found out so its a matter of finding used frames with the mechanisms intact and working then just transplanting the other parts off the old one.

Hope this is some use to you.

thanks!

i can definitely see one broken bit on the passenger side, and i suspect the cable is broken too.

Are there any other VAG's that have the same sunroof mech's that i could steal?

I'm suprised they are discontinued. I got the parts from VW last Autumn. There was a huge mark up.

Mk III Golf parts are identical in shape but seem to be finished in black rather than chrome

You'll have to take your roof lining down again

Andy

that's alright, i don't mind about the colour. i'll take a trip down to the scrappies soon!

I have just transplanted a MK3 golf one in the motors are different but the mechanisms and mounts are spot on and just fit straight on no messing. I just re-greased it all up before fitting and have had no probs as of yet.