Sign in to follow this  
jimmyvwjunkie

damaged throttle

was wondering if anyone had extra info maybe. see i took apart my inlet manifold which is a 42mm and took the throttle body off the manifold. then put new gaskets in my rocker cover and resprayed the rocker cover, but when putting it all back together i forgot to fully tighten the throttle body bolts so it was properly tight against the manifold. so i realised the problem the next morning after driving to work and my revs and mpg's were all buggered up. so i tightened the bolts once i got back from work. but now im smelling really rich fuel not being burnt properly and my mpg's are way down to 19mpg. i recon its just the throttle thats damaged but if anyone knows of something else feel free to suggest.

oh since its goosed im just gonna fitt a 50mm inlet. but what else do i need apart from top inlet and bottom?? im guessing the intake pipeconecting on to the throttle dont differentiate on a 42mm and 50mm? :)

for the swap you'll need the following (from memory) 3 gaskets - one between TB and mani, one between upper and lower section, one between lower mani and head. Heavily recomend you get new plastic injector housing which press through/ into the bottom of the brass injector cups, they get brittle and break very easy. You may also need the brass injector cups, but you may be able to reuse you're old ones, you'll need a larg hex/ allan key to undo. The injectors can also be a bugger to pull out, there's a special tool for pulling them, I always found they're easier to pull when warm. Seeings as you're pulling the injectors you'll need new o rings, ones a big fat green thing the other is a small one. None of this stuff is expensive but you want to make sure you have the right stuff before getting started. All connecting parts are exactly the same. Don't forget to recoonect the brake servo hose :D

Make sure you're careful with the injector pipework.

Thats about all i can remeber :scratch: