Sign in to follow this  
awigman

back box fell off!

Went over a speed bump on the way home from work 2night and my back box just fell off! Is it still ok to drive as i need to get to and from work all week with no time to get it sorted.

Thanks

it's drivable but expect to see a loss of performance and econamy, and an increase of noise :D

Yeah, loss of back pressure won't exactly be positive for performance and it will undoubtedly be louder than usual .... but not much other than that.

Heh.. I'll make sure I listen out for you. Heard a loud car go up Beverley Road earlier this evening... was it you?! :)

no mate wasnt me. You do get alot of to$$ers racing up either side of beverley road tho. I saw someone very nearly stack it into a tree whilst approaching the Northumberland road side when he was racing someone on the other side. He mounted the curb drove over the pavement and missed the tree by a few inchs. You could see the tyre marks. Very lucky!

Will back boxs from other VW's ie MKII's fit without to many issues onto an early valver? need to try and source a new aftermarket backbox.

If you decide you wanna go for a new, OEM backbox from VW let me know. I get 10% off at my local VW dealers and am happy to go and order it for you to get the discount! I bought one for my 2.0 16v back in about 2003 and it was around £120... quite possibly a bit more now tho :|

If you decide you wanna go for a new, OEM backbox from VW let me know. I get 10% off at my local VW dealers and am happy to go and order it for you to get the discount! I bought one for my 2.0 16v back in about 2003 and it was around £120... quite possibly a bit more now tho :|

Cheers mate will defo keep that in mind!

It would be worth checking that the remains of the system are properly supported now that you are without the back box, otherwise you will be stressing the pipes, (and may get a ticket for driving a dangerous vehicle). Also check that the ehxaust gases aren't playing onto fuel lines or the tank.

Best wishes

RB

It would be worth checking that the remains of the system are properly supported now that you are without the back box, otherwise you will be stressing the pipes, (and may get a ticket for driving a dangerous vehicle). Also check that the ehxaust gases aren't playing onto fuel lines or the tank.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks for the warnings mate. It all looks pretty supported at the mo. Hoping itl last til monday tho!!