Sign in to follow this  
horney

My other Dub, MKII GTI 8v Track Toy

VW mk2 Golf GTi track day car

Built from a 1986 3 door GTi this car has been turned into a track day car.

MOT till August 2009 and 6 months Tax.

Shell

Striped out except for central locking and roof lining.

Corrado front seats

Small Momo steering wheel.

There are the odd dents, scratches and patches of rust but over all the shell is in fine condition - its a track car not a show car after all!!

Engine

1.9 8v with K-Jet injection. Modified head, inlet and exhaust manifolds. Cam is a high lift long duration (Piper 286). Vsam Pro engine management with 5th injector.

Recent head gasket, head skim and cam belt. Last year it had all new bearings and an oil pump. New radiator and water pump.

Custom power flow exhaust (96DB@6000 rpm perfect for track days).

Power output should be around 130bhp.

Suspension

Koni adjustable dampers and Spax springs. Poly bushed all round. Front strut brace. G60 top mounts.

Brakes

Front: Late 16v front callipers/hubs with 256mm drilled and grooved disks, Mintex 1155 pads

Rear: std mk2 golf callipers with std disks and pads.

Modified brake bias valve for stable braking. Racing brake fluid.

Wheels/Tyres

Compomotive 5 spoke 15” alloys finished in matt black.

Toyo R888s in medium compound - not a massive amount of tread left but still road legal.

Pics from ebay

BQ0Y0oQBGkKGrHgoOKj4EjlLmYTiBJ64Mof.jpg

BQ0Y8sQCGkKGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBJ64M7.jpg

BQ0ZEQBGkKGrHgoOKiIEjlLmWNBBJ64NO1K.jpg

BQ0ZJkB2kKGrHgoOKkEEjlLmF82BJ64NYuU.jpg

BQ0cwOBGkKGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BJ64VuL.jpg

BQ0cz0gCGkKGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfcsHBJ64WJ.jpg

36f5_1.jpg

38ab_1.jpg

3940_1.jpg

40d8_1.jpg

4b6d_1.gif

4c9a_1.gif

Picked up last night and Yeah baby it shifts!

Had a few issues getting it started when I went to pick it up with my mate so no pictures in daylight yet.

Pulls like a fricking train and pee's all over the corrado despite having less power. drive back was bit scary in the rain on water logged roads with cut slicks!

Anyway here's some pics.

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

The best bit:

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

And a funny shot of a snail and a northloop.co.uk sticker. Made me and Mark chuckel anyway.

IMG_3580.jpg

Took it to work this morning a had a little play with a 08 Plate Civic Type R. He was gracious in defeat.

Nick

Ha ha I might polish i this weekend if I have time. Need to remove the stickers from the last owner and apply some of my own.

As for the Dash it's going to stay. I'm thinking of running in sprints but to stay in the production class I have to run an interior (dash, door cards and seats, but no carpet). No interior means I move up a class, would have to have a race spec cage fitted and will get my arse served to me on a plate. Leaving the dash in means I can run stripped for track days but chuck a mouldy set of seats and door cards in for sprinting.

nick

Swapped over the grill for an early 7 slat one. Also I've never been to the ring even if the car has so removed the northloop.co.uk sticker as well as Alex's name from the windows.

Some new pics.

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

Some retro Compomotive goodness wrapped in R888s.

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

My Dubs together.

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

nick

Cool, if i ever stop arsing about with bikes I'd like to pick up a Mk2 for this sort of thing. Id throw away the big bumpers and go small bumper. Loved my old 8v Mk2's.

Also if you polish it there will be less wind resistance so it may be quicker :lol:

What a difference a day makes!

Rear lights swapped for standard items and small bumpers fitted. Going to need the wing brackets front and rear for the bumpers. Also need a replacement front valance as it's been hacked about to fit the spots on the big bumpers and a front splitter. Not to mention a quick blow over with rattle can after a quick sand to get rid of the surface rust.

Looks much less chav and more retro. Result!

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

Cost to date

Car - £500

Tax - £110

Grill + Lamps - £10

Small bumpers - £20

OE rear lamps - £10

Sold single lamp grill - £10-

Total - £640

Nick

Spoot?

Cheers though, I'm please with how it's coming along. Going to feel very refined stepping back into the Rado tomorrow.

Nick

Really like this mate. Love to have a track day weapon. Did an MG track day as a passenger a couple of months ago. Was surfing eBay for cheap MGF's by the afternoon on my phone! Resisted though!

130bhp is strong power from a 8v too isn't it?

We reckon it's nearer 140bhp. I'll get it rolling roaded at somepoint as I want to see what the torque curve is like and where peak power is.

Nick

Looks good chap!

What's with the crazy roof aerial?! :scratch:

More progress and pics this evening.

Picked up some new indicators from GSF for the grand total of £8. Fund some chav tape I used n the Passat when I fancied red stripes so used that on these non GTI bumpers and then cracked out the boiled linseed oil on all the plastics.

Looks much better I think you'll agree.

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

Cost to date

Car - £500

Tax - £110

Grill + Lamps - £10

Small bumpers - £20

OE rear lamps - £10

New Orange front Indicators - £8

Total - £648

Nick

So after my mate's revelation of the very interesting article I thought tonight I would have a nosey through the history folder.

Erm I a bit shocked!

Engine - £3K ish with the management

Suspension - £600 including all the poly bushes

Exhaust - £400

£4K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nick

the spec didn't sound cheap when you first listed it, bet it feels a lot more like a bargain now!

Yeah it does! Just finished toting up the receipts for mods (Including the big bumpers and other stuff) and it's close to £6K.

The engine was done about 9 years ago though and has covered about 40,000 miles. The bottom end bearing were done last year though and it feels tight and strong on the road.

In all honesty it's a much better engine than the 2.0 16v in my Rado. I've always defended 8v's as being a good engine despite lacking the headline figures of the 16v's. This thing just pulls form idle all the way to the limiter and is so much more driveable when pottering or hammering it than the Rado. The Rado feels lazy by comparison unless you keep it above 4K all the time which means a lot of cog swapping.

Nick

It's been a very productive day today.

Repainted the rear valance and drivers door bottom, fitted the front splitter and added the pinstripes down the rubbing strips. Also fitted some GTI badges front and rear earlier in the week.

Pics:

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Paint finish and match aren't 100% but it's not a show car and I just wanted it to look tidier and more original, not mint. Just need to pick up a front valance and the plastic above it and job's a gooden.

Cost to date

Car - £500

Tax - £110

Grill + Lamps - £10

Small bumpers - £20

OE rear lamps - £10

GTi badges - £10

Front splitter - £15

Paint - £20

Total - £693

Nick

Got busy with the polish today to try and make the flat paintwork look a little more presentable. Still need to go over the whole car again and do the roof but certainly an improvement.

3562080195_735d01cb32.jpg

3562893380_8a58c836ae.jpg

3562890456_30674f8f3b.jpg

3562071489_3787465b74.jpg

Nick

THis weekend I fitted the freshly painted front valance and refitted the front splitter. On friday night I picked up the wheels from Swaffgti for normal road use and extreme wet trackday use when the R888's won't cut it. Cleaned them up and boshed them on.

I really like them and think they suit the motorsport look of the car. I was toying with painting them Kawasaki Green but now there on I think a bright white is the way forward.

Some pics taken today.

3603260341_44710d67bd.jpg

3603255659_c9c778f824.jpg

3604063960_174fded664.jpg

Cost to date

Car - £500

Tax - £110

Grill + Lamps - £10

Small bumpers - £20

OE rear lamps - £10

GTi badges - £10

Front splitter - £15

Paint - £20

Wet/Road wheels+tyres - £75

Total - £768

Nick

Had an awesome day at Combe on saturday despite the slack Marshalls and loved watching you all go out on your Rado only session. Wish I could have brought both cars down really.

A few pics from my mates of me doing the biz.

3759777992_60cca79b8f.jpg

3759775496_486311994b.jpg

3758976653_6e1c58cf8f.jpg

3759769314_24a5e42e11.jpg

3758970999_60f4880709.jpg

3759766372_17a7cb6a16.jpg

3758317620_78a2094b78.jpg

Nick