Sign in to follow this  
charly_vrsexy

coilovers or rolled arches that is the question

other than the vr6 project I have a daily run around of a mk3 golf, its on Borbet a's and I lowered it previous to putting these on. Problem is now the ET is different the back wheels rub in the arches when going over a bump or a bit of weight in the car.

Im being told by one set of mates to roll the rear arches, this will have its own set of problems, such as paint cracking

and im being told by another set to get coil overs.

So really, opinions please, coilovers possibly cos they will harden the ride meaning the tyres shouldnt get hit by the arches........help

In all honesty getting both would give you the most flexibility but neither will guarantee to solve your problem.

Adding coilovers in most cases with give you the ability to adjust the height the car runs at allowing you to adjust arch gap accordingly. I'm assuming its been lowered using a spring and shock kit which are generally fixed up front and may or may not have some fixed adjustment at the rear.

Getting your arches rolled whilst being potentially problematic on older cars with old paint, rusty arches etc will give your wheels more room to move up and down without coming in to contact with your arches as long as the offset isn't so great that the top of the tyre actually sticks out of the arch.

I don't think either one is the definite answer, your probably best taking some pictures of the car as its stands and posting them up.

Hope that helps.

Stu

You could remove the offending material with an angle grinder or some nibblers. You'll need to smooth down the edges & coat them so they don't rust. But since your rubbing problem is at the back you'll probably be very close to hitting the rear dampers as well.

Or you could buy some wheels with the correct ET in the first place, that's always a nice way to avoid trouble. :?

You could remove the offending material with an angle grinder or some nibblers. You'll need to smooth down the edges & coat them so they don't rust. But since your rubbing problem is at the back you'll probably be very close to hitting the rear dampers as well.

Or you could buy some wheels with the correct ET in the first place, that's always a nice way to avoid trouble. :?

Yeh but how much fun would that be.Borbets for me.