Sign in to follow this  
timthetinyhorse

Changed thermostat and engine running too cool

changed the thermostat on my 9a a few weeks back and since then the oil and water rarley get above 80deg, as the stat isnt a dealer part is it possible that it is opening at a lower temp? if so should i get the dealer part and fit that? is running it like this going to cause problems if the oil is not warm enough?

cheers

rob

Take it off and test it in a bowl of hot water to see if it opens and closes as it should??

My early valver sits at 85-92 for the water and anywhere from 90-104 for the oil. So your not fair off unless the late valvers run hotter :|

mine used to run around the temps you mention but it runs much cooler now, might get a sts from the dealer and see if that opens at a higher temp

That stat you bought wasnt a neuspeed one was it?? They do a stat that opens at 80c to start cooling earlier, the standard or after market ones are usually 90c. They sell the stat and a fan switch thats 80c to start cooling earlier but not that essential in this country (even the summers cold). I've got the neuspeed fan switch fitted and that doesn't cause any low temp coolant/oil problems but is handy to back up the system to prevent any potential overheating.

Hope you get sorted :)

Get one from the dealers.

Spent a while getting the GSF one fitted and it didn't solve my cooling problems - just changed the symptoms a bit!

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61713&p=722716

Fitting an OEM one for pennies more solved all problems instantaneously!

sealing ring - 038 121 119B £1.39

thermostat - 044 121 113 £10.58

all in £14.06 oct '07