Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Steering Wheel - Leather Repair?

The Steering wheel on my 158k VR is looking a little worse for wear on the leather and I don't fancy paying £440 for a new one :pale:

I've seen more and more people on here rave about the new leather spray repair kits on there seat bolsters. But has anyone tried these kits on there steering wheels yet? I don't want to try it and find I have black hands every time I drive it :lol:

I've bought one of the leather repair kits specifically to repair the steering wheel, but not got round to doing it yet - don't hold your breath, but I'll report back once I've done it. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't work though and a load cheaper than a new steering wheel.

where are you on the suffolk/essex border...might be local to me

ive got some black dye..i could give the wheel a blast over

it doesnt rub off and leave your hands black...although im not sure that it would be mega durable

I'm in Long Melford, so not a million miles away :) Maybe I could bring the wheel to you one day and give you some beer money for doing it? :D

Must admit I have splashed on the new steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake handle.

The car is having work done to it (paint, wheels, windscreen) and I recognised the tactile experience was left wanting. There is really nothing like new stuff to touch. Changes your whole outlook.

£440 for a new one, ouch! Aren't the Golf VR6 ones the same? Might be worth checking the price. You can also get non leather ones.

Not sure about the golf VR6 ones, but the Vento VR6 ones are identical. I managed to get a mint one on ebay for £30 about 3 years ago!!!!! It seems if a Part is described as a "Corrado" part then its value at least doubles!!!