Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Machine Polishing

Am thinking of buying a machine polisher.

I've now got to choose between the megs g220 or this Kestral one that like a cheaper alternative.

Does anyone here use either machine? Is the Kestral one a Dual Action like the Megs?

Am thinking of buying a machine polisher.

I've now got to choose between the megs g220 or this Kestral one that like a cheaper alternative.

Does anyone here use either machine? Is the Kestral one a Dual Action like the Megs?

Yeh, I've got the Kestrel and it's a D/A, very happy with it, same fitting as the Meg's one and if you shop around you can get it for less here like I did.

http://www.fishermotorfactors.co.uk/product-10928.wtl

just ordered a kestrel polisher with the menzerna polishes and pads.

thanks for the help

Looks like i'll be having a weekend of polishing now :|

i've done lots of reading and watching videos etc, looks fairly straight forward especially with a dual action machine.

i have a runaround car to practise on 1st.

now the sun has come out i notice all the defects in my paint, i think it has been "mopped" (badly) before by a bodyshop after they painted a bit

well this little lot has arrived, give it a couple of weeks and i'll probably have a corrado in polished metal finish :|

i've done lots of reading and watching videos etc, looks fairly straight forward especially with a dual action machine.

i have a runaround car to practise on 1st.

now the sun has come out i notice all the defects in my paint, i think it has been "mopped" (badly) before by a bodyshop after they painted a bit

Didn't you have this done by a professional last year?? (Nathan -Jedi- wasn't it?) :scratch:

well this little lot has arrived, give it a couple of weeks and i'll probably have a corrado in polished metal finish :|

if you dont mind me asking.. how mch did all of that kit cost?

@vwdeviant - I did have Nath come out and do the car, that was not long after i bought it, maybe two winters ago now

he only machine polished the front corner of bumper where the dog had scratched it, i can't remember his reasoning for not doing the whole car, even though it has really bad hologramming down the sides, bonnet etc.

It bugs me when the sun is out, as it looks really clean but lots of paint defects.

@andy, i paid £151 delivered. almost got the megs G220 machine but seemed like your paying for the name. (i'll probably only use it a few times and it will sit in garage or go on ebay)

well i had a go today, didn't really achieve much though, i think i need more practice and less fear of making it worse

here's some pics of what i'm dealing with

car looks nice in certain light.

DSC01517.jpg

but when the sun is out at your standing at a certain angle it looks like this..

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

i managed to get rid a bird poo mark on the bonnet that had eaten some of the laquer

will try again another day, had all the kids from next door annoying me so i packed up

had all the kids from next door annoying me so i packed up
:lol:

Ive got a megs polisher and have had very similar results. No doubt it has made the car look a lot nicer but you can still see annoying imperfections when the sun shines on it. Without the sun it looks really deep and glossy. Im sure it comes down to technique and using the right speeds/products which Im lacking at the mo.

well got all set up today to do the whole car, washed, clay'd, dried and in the garage.

i've done about 20mins polishing and the machine has broken, stopped spinning.

pretty annoyed to say the least, have got the next 3 days off work to get it done :bad-words:

Not good mate.... sure it's not got a thermal cut out? there may be a plastic pin you need to push back in....

Been following this as I need to do mine, hopefully borrowing a polisher to try soon...

From looking around the kit to get is the Makita 9227CB - the only thing that seems to last by the sounds of it as all the other ones seem to break down, not cheap though at over £160...

I bought a silverline rotary for £42 with a few pads thrown in, I've now done 8 cars with it and it's still going strong, you would have to go through four of them to match the price of the Makita! Seems well made too.

i took the whole thing to pieces in the end and fixed it. I found one of the brushes on the motor hadn't been fitted properly. :D

only problem now is the weather is too hot to polish in :(

have found it very tough going on the corrado paint, have already stepped up to the harshest pad and harshest polish i have and its working but time consuming

I bought a silverline rotary for £42 with a few pads thrown in, I've now done 8 cars with it and it's still going strong, you would have to go through four of them to match the price of the Makita! Seems well made too.

I have been using a Silverline for over 2 years now, probably done about 20 cars worth of polishing in that time, so not used a hell of a lot but often enough. Never had any problems with it, and I paid about the same maybe a bit more.

Where did you get the Silverline from? Was it packaged with all the bits?

Would like to try one but can't justify paying out for a Kestrel/Megs one for how much use it would get. :(

Ive got the Kestral DA6, it does produce good resutls but is far too time consuming, to get my rado 100% perfect took me about 15 hours (just body, no engine bay, wheels etc) so im going to be geting a silverline or something of that sort soon.

The DA6 is a good machine for beginners though imo. Dont see the point in paying 50 quid more for the megs version.

yes, very slow going and boring, also gets a bit annoying.

i polished through the paint on the rear quarter, didn't want to admit it, but its not so bad :pale:

I never went near the Corrado with a machine polisher, took paint depth readings all over and the paint was very thin apart from the bonnet that I had had repainted - just not worth the risk, the Golf on the other hand has such thick and hard paint that I've resorted to Megs #105 and its still hard work

i was using the same combo as everywhere else, and its only the one area the paint turned white, I know this to be an area which has been resprayed in the past.

the rest of the car i could use the same pad and polish (even the next harsher pad and polish) and it was all ok.

strange thing is, the repainted area which i polished through showed up as the thickest area with a paint depth gauge, it was nearer 200, rest was nearer to 100

like i say the area i've ruined is so tiny, most people won't notice it, its on the edge of the shoulder just under window

The paint depth guage will show it to be thicker there if it's been resprayed, it's only the depth of the clear coat/lacquer that matters though which a depth guage doesn't tell you. Often 80% of a new/original paint cars total paint depth will be lacquer, as the primer coats and base coat can be very thin. But then on a resprayed car with high build primers it can be the opposite.