Sign in to follow this  
bigpants baby

supercharger for vr6

I have got the Z-Engineering supercharger on my vr6 and have done about 20k on the charger without any problems. I can't speak for the vortech charger but I have heard they are very solid and the new kits (vf-engineering) are based on vortech charger.

The kit is very simple and consists of a centrifugal charger, mounting bracket, bolts, hoses/air filter and a modified chip to increase fueling after 4000 revs. The z-kit has a self-contained oil reservoir to lubricate the bearings whilst the vortech kit has an oil line from the engine (this involves tapping a feed into the oil filter housing and making a hole in the sump for the return line). Both off the shelf kits produce 6psi which equate to around 260 crank hp. However the vortech can be upgraded as it can handle more boost (max boost on the z-kit is 9 psi whilst the vortech can handle more than 15psi).

The z-kit (6 psi) now retails at £2000 and the vortech stage 1 (6 psi) costs £2500 (excluding fitting).

Check out nsracing/vf-engineering websites for more info.

Basically if you won't be upgrading the z-kit will suit your requirements and it is easy to fit yourself but if you want to upgrade the vortech is the way to go although it may get expensive (stage 2 upgrade for the vortech is £1000- therefore £2500+£1000= £3500 for 290hp) or you could go custom or even turbo. There are lots of options, cost being the main limitation.

I have the Vortech charger and love the torque and revvy power it instantly gives, reliability is high, though i have shreaded a couple of belts but that is prob more to do with driving style.

The V9fSq can produce 23psi IIRC but anything over 9psi has to have a toothed drive system because you will get belt slipping.

I use Nitrous with it aswell.

Chris

Hope to get to some shows & 1/4mile days this year and with a few more tweeks i'm curious to see how it goes but i've never rated the VR as a good 1/4mile car anyway cos it's too heavy but we shall see.

Chris