Sign in to follow this  
billy

no 1st or 2nd

hi guys im new here and im after some help, im currently putting back together a g plate white corrado 16v, not the best one they made i know but... i cannot select 1st or 2nd all the others even reverse, fine, but no 1st or 2nd, i am familiar with the rod change in golfs as ive had loads but not to sure on the cables is there anyway they can be adjusted to sort this problem and would following this help me in anyway? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55679&hilit=gear+linkage+adjustment

thanks in advance

Not sure if it's any use, but when my mate replaced the 4 speed 'box in a Nova i had (I know i know...) with a 5 speed we encountered a similar problem, but sorted it by sawing off a bit of the plastic guide from the base of the gearstick to allow the 'stick to move further across, and after that it slid into gear no prob's :)

as you look at where the cables attach to the shift mech on the gearbox, one is higher than the other.

it's this top one you need to be adjusting - it's a simple job, just need a 13mm spanner; undo the nut that holds the plastic cale mount in place and move the cable mount around until you can get all the gears. (obivously re-tighten the nut in between go's adjusting it)

it's a bit of a trial and error thing as every car is different - try adjusting it and it will soon become obvious. also it only needs small movements to make a noticable difference in the car; like i said though - you're best off just getting stuck in and it will soon become clear.

it's only a 20 minute job at most - the worst thing is going to wash your hands/take gloves off when you get in and out of the car to feel what the gearstick feels like!

let us know how you get on - just remember to only adjust the top cable

:)

spot on pal all sorted, less than 10 minits work the first adjustment i made was the on that done it thank you very much!! :clap: :clap: