Sign in to follow this  
le hubs

Advice Needed

I need some advice from you knowledgable people!!!

I have a 16v corrado and was planning to sell it, as i cannot afford to keep fixing the many problems ive been encountering with it!!

The mot had run out and i was planning to put a new one on to sell it with, but it failed because the steering rack is cream crackered!! there is one on ebay for £250 but i dont really know if its worth it. Im also having continuing problems with the gear box.

I was wondering if people could advice me on if I should sell it as it is now, of fix the problems and then sell, or strip it down and sell it as parts!! I obviously need to try and get as much money back now for it as I can but Im getting abit fed up of it, and ive spent a small fortune on it.

Please can anybody advise me what to do for the best, as im at my wits end with it all and feel like ringing somebody to come and take it away and scrap it!!!

My corrado dream has turned to a nightmare!

ok.. one, deffinately do not scrap it!

two, i think you should deffo try and save it, im sure you could pick up a second hand rack for less then that, as long as you've got the mechanical knowhow to change it over yourself it shouldnt be too much of a problem..

three, again am sure you could pickup a gearbox pretty easily..

four, so many corrado's are being broken at the moment it would be a shame to break it up, so if you cant fix it then maybe try selling it with the known problems..

is it the car in your sig?

i would say if its not feesible steering rack gearbox mot etc etc

and other than that the car is in good nick if you are able to strip it down do so as you will probably get more in parts than you would if you sold it as spares.

definitely don't scrap - its beginning to annoy me seeing so many getting broken :mad2:

i'm in the market for a 16v in the NW of england, and am not really fussy about the condition so long as I can drive it home to belfast - does it drive? any pictures?

aide i would say no due to the fact he has said its mot has run out .

there is nothing wrong with breaking a car infact in most cases it keeps many more on the road.And as he has said if its not feesible to fix may as well sell as spares or brake it :)

Its not that I want to scrap it - quite the opposite, I would love to keep it but I just cant afford to run it and fix it all the time.

Its not actually the gear box that is broken, its something to do with the gear linkages/leaver. It has been fixed once but broke again almost striaght away.

It currently has no tax or mot so is undriveable at the minute.

If I fix the gear again and also get a new rack, will I get the money back when I sell it that it has cost me to fix it and then mot it? Is it alot of messing around to break it down? can you see my dilema? I love my corrado but my head needs to rule my heart for a change!!!!

james - no mot/ tax doesn't mean it doesn't drive (trade plates) :wink: and i didn't say there was anything wrong with breaking, I just don't like seeing so many getting broken :( if the rack and box can be fixed then that's one more still on the road!

Its not that I want to scrap it - quite the opposite, I would love to keep it but I just cant afford to run it and fix it all the time.

Its not actually the gear box that is broken, its something to do with the gear linkages/leaver. It has been fixed once but broke again almost striaght away.

It currently has no tax or mot so is undriveable at the minute.

If I fix the gear again and also get a new rack, will I get the money back when I sell it that it has cost me to fix it and then mot it? Is it alot of messing around to break it down? can you see my dilema? I love my corrado but my head needs to rule my heart for a change!!!!

really depends on what condition the rest of the car is in, sh mileage etc, any mods.. early valvers arent fetching a lot of money these days what with being able to get a vr for circa 2k...

james - no mot/ tax doesn't mean it doesn't drive (trade plates) :wink: and i didn't say there was anything wrong with breaking, I just don't like seeing so many getting broken :( if the rack and box can be fixed then that's one more still on the road!

fair point mate :)

still if money is tight and he is looking at spending 100 on tax 100 on mot 200 on steering rack 100 on gear box related issues its a minimum 500 quid

which to me to spend on a tired valver seems a lot just my thoughts though :shrug:

fair point mate :)

still if money is tight and he is looking at spending 100 on tax 100 on mot 200 on steering rack 100 on gear box related issues its a minimum 500 quid

which to me to spend on a tired valver seems a lot just my thoughts though :shrug:

what parts are you after james? lol

No its not the one thats my sig, its a 1990 blue valver. I will try and get some pictures up later.

It does still go and the engine is in good condition and has had alot of money spent on it, it runs fine. Obviously with the steering and gear problem its not the easiest to drive but it can be driven.

I would rather sell it than see it broken and obviously it would be easier that way!