Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

MOT fail on ABS light in the dash

As above really, the ABS light doesn't work so has failed the MOT. Is there some sort of checklist of things to tick off the list until its fixed?

Sorry I'm not very mechanically minded so please excuse any dumb questions! (not very good owning a Rado!)

Help please! A re-test needs to be done soon.

could just be a bulb gone :D if so halfords will do a replacement if you find the buld is missing and once fitted the abs light stays on in means you have a fault somewhere

Cool, thanks for the info.

Lets hope it is just a bulb. Anything more and I might get a bit stumped!

Often they're deliberately disabled in order to hide ABS problems. If it doesn't light at all a less careful MOT tester will let it pass. In actuality no light is as bad (or worse) as a constant light. Assuming it's not the bulb you can read the ABS system faults via the OBD port which is situated under the gear gaitor. You can use a laptop and a copy of VAG-COM for this, or a dedicated fault code reader.

Many thanks Timbo,

I pulled the dash switch apart and it looks like the bulb filament has gone. Going to borrow a mates switch and see what happens. Maybe bright light or not!

Fingers crossed.

if you have any trouble finding the correct bulb mate PM me!

Thanks for the offer, not been looking yet but I may well take you up on that, cheers buddy.

Help, I've just spent ages getting my VR ready for its MOT after being off the road for 18months. Finally got the ABS functioning properly and the bulb has now gone. Where can I get a bulb before MOT on Monday? Isn't it an LED?