Sign in to follow this  
Stevo-M

What's a dangerous water temp?

My water temp in my 9a sits at about 100-105'C about town but the gauge suggests 110'C is "into the red" and the fan still works. Is it safe to drive for the time being? There seems to be no coolant in the system, just water so i'll flush it and refill with good stuff and take it from there

Cheers

it should really sit in the middle of the gauge and only rise slightly above when in traffic before the fan cuts in, once at the very top of the gauge with the LED flashing you'll be in danger of boiling over.

A number of things could be wrong, fan, temp switch in radiator, relay pack for fan control, blocked radiator, running too lean and the head getting too hot, water pump/thermostat issue.

It's worth investigating and trying to sort before something nasty like a head gasket blows.

this is completely what i needed to know aswell.

the car i just bought will go to 110 degrees if i dont flick this extra fan switch the previous owner has put in.

rather worrying.

but if leave that fan switch on all the time the water seems to be better.

the engine always seems VERY hot, hotter than it should run i swear, even after a small journey the heat coming from it can be seen coming out the bonnet gaps (after few min drive) and very hot to touch.

ive had the same engine before in a mk1 and it never got that hot.

this is completely what i needed to know aswell.

the car i just bought will go to 110 degrees if i dont flick this extra fan switch the previous owner has put in.

rather worrying.

but if leave that fan switch on all the time the water seems to be better.

the engine always seems VERY hot, hotter than it should run i swear, even after a small journey the heat coming from it can be seen coming out the bonnet gaps (after few min drive) and very hot to touch.

ive had the same engine before in a mk1 and it never got that hot.

My valver was the same with the excessive engine bay temps, when I had the H/G replaced last year the exhaust manifold was found to be cracked, when this was sorted the bay temps seem to have improved. Might be worth checking, I am sure hot exhaust gasses will push up the temps!.

If water and oil temps are ok it might be worth checking the exhaust manifold. (please note I an no expert so could be talking sh*te).

HTH

Rich

mines also running hot :( went near the top today flashing red light was on check the oil and thats 125 as well getting a bit worried as i dont really want to do a head as yet. might have to buy a cheapy runaround and take her of the road and whack a 20vt in it :D