Sign in to follow this  
CiaranMk1

KR won't idle when started

Hey,

Since the summer has started, Im finally getting back to getting the corrado on the road again.

I changed the metering head last week and the car ran fine after it was fitted. Last night I tried to start the car to bring it for a run but the car had trouble starting the car and it wouldn't idle. I have to keep my foot down to keep the car running and it's very lumpy.

The fuel pump is priming fine and there is fuel gushing out of the main outlets on the metering head (the port at the front and the side). When I disconnected the 4 lines on the metering to each of the injecters (the ones on top), there was no fuel overflowing out of the ports, could it be possible that the metering head is blocked in some way?

I disconnected the air flow meter to see if that was the issue but the problem is still there. Im thinking that it could either be the ISV or maybe a dirty fuel filter but Id like to see who else has come across this problem with a KR.

Thanks all!

On mine, after several trips to the garage, it turned out to be a valve in the vacuum system.

That's after a second hand metering head was put in, and 4 new injectors, and a new distributor .. I still have the occasional starting issue in hot weather, but I've put that down to the fuel in the lines evaporating - a bit of throttle to get it to start and after a 200 yards or so it's running OK on it's own.

On mine, after several trips to the garage, it turned out to be a valve in the vacuum system.

That's after a second hand metering head was put in, and 4 new injectors, and a new distributor .. I still have the occasional starting issue in hot weather, but I've put that down to the fuel in the lines evaporating - a bit of throttle to get it to start and after a 200 yards or so it's running OK on it's own.

which valve do you refer to?

thanks

fuel will only come out the top of the metering head if the engine is flowing air, so doubt that's the problem

check vacuum lines first, a loose one will cause air to bypass the metering head causing a very lean mixture

which valve do you refer to?

thanks

It's behind the air box, off the top of my head one big hose, one little hose and an electrical connector, dark gray and the main part is a stubby cylinder.

okay, so yu'r talkin about ISV I think. It can be "bypassed" by pushing the acc pedal down.

it's the idle air control valve i think, it has a small aperture within which remains open for a preset time to allow more air into the engine when warming up from cold

when warm the valve closes and the additional air is shut off

it's the idle air control valve i think, it has a small aperture within which remains open for a preset time to allow more air into the engine when warming up from cold

when warm the valve closes and the additional air is shut off

never quite understood how that works in conjunction with the Idle Stabalisation Valve, I think it's actually called the Auxiliary Air Valve

wasn't auxiliary air valve used in (i.e. golf mk1) older bosch injection systems, and the replaced by ISV which is electrical?

daves right with what he calls it

i've never fully figured out their relationship either beyond the obvious

interesting stuff this kjet :D

It's not the ISV, that's to the right of the block at the top of the engine (I gave mine a good clean with carb cleaner as part of my fault finding and it made no difference to my problem at the time).

The garage that finally found the fault gave me the part to show me, I'll take a picture later if you like, but on the invoice it stated that the item was faulty and the engine couldn't keep the mix right causing the problem.

They also found a small vacuum leak, which they didn't think was the main cause, caused by a crack in the channel the dipstick goes in. They replaced that at the same time as it was only a couple of £.

it's nr 14 in the picture, very little goes wrong in these units tho, it's only an electrcally heated bimetallic strip

it's nr 14 in the picture, very little goes wrong in these units tho, it's only an electrcally heated bimetallic strip

Thats very similar, but I'm guessing this is from an older engine? The one in my C is stumpier and plastic (that picture looks like a metal unit to me).

just the B&W piccy makes it look metalic they are plastic, had similar jobs on both my kr's, assume they're used on 9a also

kinda gone off topic here :D

just the B&W piccy makes it look metalic they are plastic, had similar jobs on both my kr's, assume they're used on 9a also

kinda gone off topic here :D

It's almost on topic, it's what was at fault with my KR with similar symptoms.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73130&start=15#p870376

After I posted this I took it to GCS in Horsham, they improved matters by giving it a tune (a decent one this time) and thought the Distributor was to blame. Put a new one on, no difference unfortuantely. They kept it for a few more hours and decided it was the aux air valve, put a new one on and she's been fine ever since.

and where is this aux air valve located in the engine bay, please? I think it is worth having a check for kr owners...

It's behind the air box, off the top of my head one big hose, one little hose and an electrical connector, dark gray and the main part is a stubby cylinder.

:D

maybe makes sense in that ur in a much warmer climate

well, but all k-jetronic should be the same, shouldn't they?

could anyone post a pic of an engine bay, with a mspaintbrush circle where it is located? thanks

well, but all k-jetronic should be the same, shouldn't they?

could anyone post a pic of an engine bay, with a mspaintbrush circle where it is located? thanks

:wave:

I'm going to be rummaging around in the engine bay in about 2 hours time, trying to find where all my coolant went this morning, and I'll try and snap a picture of the valve for you.

I'm going to be rummaging around in the engine bay in about 2 hours time, trying to find where all my coolant went this morning, and I'll try and snap a picture of the valve for you.

woh, thank you very much :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now I've gone to look at it again I'm not entirely sure this is the aux air valve, but this is the item they replaced to cure my idle problem.