Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Help anyone near Widnes with Vagcom-ABS Problem

I've got the dreaded ABS light of doom on constantly although when I turn on the ignition and press the brake pedal I do feel the pulse. I need to know the location of the sensors front and back. Do I need to take the wheels off for access? Are there any tips from anyone who as done this in the past what needs to be done/what checks I can carry out.

Alan

The sensors are in the back of the hubs, so wheels off. To find out what is at fault either VAGCOM the car or put a multimeter on the contacts of each sensor and check the resistance. It should be aprox 1.1 amps (or 0.11 - depends on the setting on the multimeter), but it's obvious if one is out compared to the rest.

The connection to get at the contacts are on the back of the sensor on the front hubs and under the back seat for the rear sensors.

It's also possible that the slotted rings that the ABS sensor uses to determine the wheel speed could be full of cack/corrosion, the back ones especially, as they clip into the recess of the inside of the brake disc. It's worth taking them off and giving them a good rub down with a wire brush. As far as replacing the old sensors, they are a twat to remove and you'll likely destroy them in the process, but I suppose that doesn't matter if you are replacing them anyway. VAG-com is your friend though, so find someone local, willing and able to give you hand with that. :)

as the others have said - find out exactly what is wrong before you go shaking spanners at the car!

once you know what's wrong then get back to us with all the detail and we'll be able to talk you through it step by step :D

Thanks for the help guys seems this ABS job aint as straight forward as I'd hoped :( I dont know of anyone in my area with a VAG COM Im in Widnes by the way just in case anyone can help I dont mind travelling too far and paying for time/expertise just so I can diagnose the fault first. :D

Change the title of the topic dude, asking for someone local with VAG-com, as not everyone will read the thread itself :)

Change the title of the topic dude, asking for someone local with VAG-com, as not everyone will read the thread itself

Cheers mrbiege for the advice. Title changed :D