Sign in to follow this  
mtet1101

power steering keeps leaking

Hi there,

i have a 91 valver and the power steering fluid keeps leaking out of the hose at the pump end. i have undone it from the pump and the small rubber gasket seems in perfect condition so upon putting it all back together it continues to leak from the top nut. it seems to me that there should be more than one gasket that goes inbetween the threaded nut and the pipe, it just seeps out the top every time. im not very good at explaining these things so il link a picture of what i mean.

http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartIm ... 422893.jpg

in the picture should there be a small rubber gasket inbetween the blue nut and the pipe?

any helps is highly appreciated!

are you sure the pressure relief valve in the pump is working properly? If not you should be getting whining noises all the time and not just when you steer, if that is the case then the pressure hose will leak as it's constantly being pressurised and when the steering is not being moved from left to right there's no flow of fluid and the hose is put under strain.

The pump end of the pressure hose is just a compression fitting, not a banjo fitting, so no washers are used. Can't remember at the rack end but I think it's the same.

are you sure the pressure relief valve in the pump is working properly? If not you should be getting whining noises all the time and not just when you steer, if that is the case then the pressure hose will leak as it's constantly being pressurised and when the steering is not being moved from left to right there's no flow of fluid and the hose is put under strain.

The pump end of the pressure hose is just a compression fitting, not a banjo fitting, so no washers are used. Can't remember at the rack end but I think it's the same.

yeah it does whine but not alot louder than it used to, where can i check the pressure relief valve?

if you remove the pressure hose to the rack at the pump end fitting, you'll be left with another bolt/hex still attached to the pump, unscrew this and 3 pieces will come out, 2 part valve and a spring. These can get clogged with dirt (there's a tiny gauze filter on the end of one bit) and the drilling in the body of the pump can itself wear and get scored preventing the valve from moving freely.

It's not necessarily your problem, but it is a common issue with those type of pumps.

i recently had to get the pipe from rack to pump from VW was 142 quid i think... not cheap anyway. although my original looked fine it did infact fix it