Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

Power loss when electrics engaged

Driving back from South Wales on M4 yesterday evening, I was trucking along merrily, stereo on, when I hit the rain around J17 at Chippenham.

I switched on the headlights and had a brief power fade/cut out from the engine. The stutter was so brief I figured I was over-reacting and that there was nothing to it. About a mile later I kicked the indicator on while changing lanes and there was a much more significant 'moment' as the engine died completely at about 75mph - enough to also note the dash lights disappear, stereo to cut out and wipers to pause.

I disengaged the indicators almost as soon as I sensed this mechnical-fart and drove the rest of the way along the M4/A34/M3 without playing with any of the electrics - finally needing to indicate near Southampton, where there was no sign of the previous fault.

Is this likely to just be a lighting related short or the typical 'beginning of the end' of the coil pack?

sounds like thealternator to me have you check if its kicking out around 13v? if not check it on its own then put the electrics on and see how much voltage its kicking out

sounds like thealternator to me have you check if its kicking out around 13v? if not check it on its own then put the electrics on and see how much voltage its kicking out

damn... really? the alternator is only about 2yrs old, so I hope it's not got a problem already :(

looks like i'd best start tinkering at the weekend and see what's doing...

thanks chap!

id be checking all connections with the altenator as previsously posted.