Sign in to follow this  
joinerboy

changing handbrake cables

i am in the process of changing my brakes all round so i thought i might as well change the handbrake cables as well. heres the prob:

hw do you remove them?

i have unbolted them inside the car from the handbrake but i cant pull them through the tube they run in. what am i doing wrong? its prob something simple but i cant see it.

there is a black stopper on the end of the golden tube that comes out of the car(sorry for crap explanation and no pics)but i cant seem to move it.is that whats stopping me.

someone on here must of changed there cables, hw did you do it?

thanks

Might well be the end of the cable stuck into the metal guide tube. I had to remove my cables and the tubes complete and use a blowtorch to melt the end of the cable so I could remove it. Then use a drill to clean the inside of the tube. The golden coloured guide tubes just pull out of the car in a not very straight manner...

cheers toad

heres the prob

DSC00160.jpg

the hole in the black plastic bit is smaller then the cable.(i cant pull it off either) can i heat that up so it expands or did u mean just cut/melt the end of the old cable off?

i dont trust myself with a blowtorch lol