Sign in to follow this  
Martyn_McG

Help! mis-fire

Ok my vr is miss-firing, the temp gauge seems to be reading a low, but there is no mayo in the oil and i am not loosing any fluids?

my silencers however where painted in an industrial high temperature paint i used from work, this has been fine for well over a year, all of a sudden i can smell the paint, which suggests the exhaust is un-naturally hot

so to sum it up, its miss-firing and i dont believe its the cylinder head, its also running cooler than usual and the exhaust hotter i think??? :confused4:

i have not checked the plugs yet because i dont have the tool for getting to the leads. .

any help would be greatly appreciated as its my daily driver and i really need it!!

i forgot to add, if you keep your foot on the pedal in one position it will kangaroo about now and then as the cylinder that is down temporarily kicks back into life . . .

ok i found a loose sparkplug with the lead not on it very tight so thought i found the problem, but the problem is still there

i cant see any cracks in the coil-pack but when i have the ignition on just one click i can hear the coil pack making a fizzing noise, do u thing its arcing?

you dont have a tool for the plugs or the leads...? are u sure its not running too rich with it miss firing and thats what ur smelling?

how come you painted the exhaust may i ask?

check obvious ignition based things as previously posted is best bet

turned out to be a broken coil pack but took a while to diagnose after messing with the leads, i have since made a tool for removing the leads and am going to replace plugs and leads aswell while i am at it

Thanks for the help