Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Creaking when turning...

Agreed. I only want genuine VAG parts really. How much did u pay for ur control arms Pat_McCrotch and where from please buddy?

I work for Audi so i got them at cost price ;) Get them from a TPS Centre or ask a Dealer for 15% off due to the age of the car. With current market condition's the consumer has a little more clout ;)

V-Dubstar - have you bought the parts and had them fitted. If so is the problem now fixed?

I think I have the same problem with my '95 Storm. Had new top mounts fitted but still lots of steering related creaking noise when turning at low/nil speed on the driveway.

By replacing these parts will the on the road driving experience be improved as well? Just trying to convince myself another £300 plus bill is worth it.

V-Dubstar - have you bought the parts and had them fitted. If so is the problem now fixed?

I think I have the same problem with my '95 Storm. Had new top mounts fitted but still lots of steering related creaking noise when turning at low/nil speed on the driveway.

By replacing these parts will the on the road driving experience be improved as well? Just trying to convince myself another £300 plus bill is worth it.

Hi mate - I've located and received a new VAG N/S wishbone from someone on here, im waiting to find a good price for a genuine VAG O/S wishbone and then i'll be putting them on...so alas I can't tell u yet! My best quote was like £98+VAT for each side and I can't quite afford that!

It sounds like u've got the same problem as me, I think its the bushes. But instead of replacing them Id like to fit new wishbones coz the undersides a little corroded.

With regards to the driving experience, nothing but good can come out of it i guess! But Im most certainly not a mechanic so can't give u insight there either unfortunately... :(

Let me know if u do get this sorted out before me and how it went, and i'll be doing the same on this thread (hopefully!!) soon...!

Well my car's now at DG getting fixed. Dave is great at keeping me up to date even if the photos resemble a Dear Deirdre photo casebook :D

Like you I'm no mechanic but I'm certainly getting a crash course in bushes, track rods, CV joints. Once all done I'll list out the work. Certainly it's a bit more involved than just the Lupo wiper upgrade I've done so far.

Well my car's now at DG getting fixed. Dave is great at keeping me up to date even if the photos resemble a Dear Deirdre photo casebook :D

Like you I'm no mechanic but I'm certainly getting a crash course in bushes, track rods, CV joints. Once all done I'll list out the work. Certainly it's a bit more involved than just the Lupo wiper upgrade I've done so far.

:lol: Brilliant mate, appreciate that! Im (very) slowly building up the parts to go ahead and do the work.

When are you likely to get the rado back?

I'm picking it up tomorrow. If you look tonight on the CCGB Corrado webcam it looks like my car's the star :clap:

Obviously the proof will be in the driving but I can tell you what's been fitted - new track rod ends, ball joints, and R32 wishbone bushes. It appears the car's never needed to be taken apart in 14 years so getting the wishbone bolts out was interesting.

At the same time I had the auxillary belt and tensioner changed as they were starting to get noisy. Lets hope that's the end of the work for 2009.

I'm picking it up tomorrow. If you look tonight on the CCGB Corrado webcam it looks like my car's the star :clap:

Obviously the proof will be in the driving but I can tell you what's been fitted - new track rod ends, ball joints, and R32 wishbone bushes. It appears the car's never needed to be taken apart in 14 years so getting the wishbone bolts out was interesting.

At the same time I had the auxillary belt and tensioner changed as they were starting to get noisy. Lets hope that's the end of the work for 2009.

Brilliant! :D

All done and dusted. Picked the car up yesterday and it's really tight and composed. Brings back those memories of the 90's when I first had a Corrado and it literally felt like it ran on rails. Dave and Graham have done a great job.

hey pal sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake here.

if you remember where you came to collect my rear calipers.... if you're anywhere near there or brecon in future gimme a buzz and i can have a look at it for you if you like.

refreshing the running gear at the front end sounds like the way to go for the time being though.

also, instead of buying all brand new kit, have you considered just taking your existing wishbones off, de-rusting them and fitting new bushes. would work out much cheaper, allow you to fit the r32/tt bushes which would tighten up your handling and you would learn something about taking the car apart...

it's not a difficult job at all - more than happy to talk you through it if you give me a buzz

Edited by pete_griff

well I recently replaced top mounts and my car has stopped creaking :clap: :clap:

old top mounts were in a full destruction state. I will upload pics so you can see them :D

Ok thanks, so taking them off with car grounded should be ok geometry wise?

Do you reckon I can get in enough with some lube to see if this could be the problem? :confused4:

lube solves all of life's problems... :grin:

The actual reason why I had creaking noises was due to the CV boot on the offside track rod end having split and therefore all the grease had vanished/dried up causing the joint to rub metal on metal. The attached photos show both track rods - the offside completely dried up and the nearside one still with some grease.

The actual reason why I had creaking noises was due to the CV boot on the offside track rod end having split and therefore all the grease had vanished/dried up causing the joint to rub metal on metal. The attached photos show both track rods - the offside completely dried up and the nearside one still with some grease.

eeeek - that's nasty! :?

bet that squeaked/clonked and had play like dog!

hey pal sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake here.

if you remember where you came to collect my rear calipers.... if you're anywhere near there or brecon in future gimme a buzz (07888701877) and i can have a look at it for you if you like.

refreshing the running gear at the front end sounds like the way to go for the time being though.

also, instead of buying all brand new kit, have you considered just taking your existing wishbones off, de-rusting them and fitting new bushes. would work out much cheaper, allow you to fit the r32/tt bushes which would tighten up your handling and you would learn something about taking the car apart...

it's not a difficult job at all - more than happy to talk you through it if you give me a buzz

Hey Pete only just read this!

Thanks dude, appreciate it :D

Thing is I cant really afford to be without the car for any amount of time, so I guess I could buy used wishbones and de-rust them etc, what would I need to coat them with after they'd been blasted then? I think maybe by the time Ive done all this it might be cheaper to buy new ones?

Im saving up to buy myself new wishbones, ball joints and track rod ends, anything else u can advise on replacing dude?

you could just clean them up a bit, wire brush etc, press in the new bushes and then whack a couple of coats of black Smoothrite or similar on them, that would keep them going a few more years unless they are totally rotten through.