Sign in to follow this  
jazzy

ABF on R1 carbs

Hi peeps i got a corrado 1990 with no engine and gearbox. I have also bought an abf engine and box.

Id really like to put r1 carbs on with a bogg bros manifold as i think its a work of art.

Can anyone recommend the best way of fueling? I was thinking a motorbike fuel pump instead of facet pumps and regulators.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Jazzy

i just left everything as is was mate, the carbs i used were like the standard fuel rail with a fuel inlet and return , so i just attached the pipes like they were on the fuel rail, i was a bit worried that the carbs would not fill as the fuel just goes in one end and out the other and i didnt use any type of regulator but i had no problems what so ever,

is that the engine with electronic ignition? if so you may be lucky, on the mk3 8v the rev limit is set by cutting the injectors, so if you use carbs you also loose the rev limit :-)

this is some vid of my mk3 in testing stage

Thats interesting mate. I did not think they had a return on r1 carbs?

Thing is i thought cv carbs were fed off a fuel tap which is vacuum operated same as a 1200 bandit.

I was under the impression that a fuel off a bike would be good as they is not too much fuel pressure.

Surely a high pressure pump off a vw would be too much for the r1 carbs??

Sounded the bollocks though mate

Did it run as good as it sounds.

when i think about it now i think mine were R6 carbs but they should be the same just a larger bore, my old R6 was fed by an electronic pump but at a low pressure, if you fit the fuel inlet and return like i did with no regulator then the fuel should flow in and out with hardly any pressure at the carbs and like i said mine was fine,

my car fired straight up as soon as i put them on but run very badly on full throttle so i needed to fiddle with the jets a bit but after that it ran faultlessly, one slight problem i did have was fireing it up when it was warm but that was just down to ignition timing, i know it is electronically controlled but just needed a tiny twist and it was perfect hot or cold and started on the button