Sign in to follow this  
Mikey D

Wheel bearings failure.

Hi,

Im after a bit of advice.

Im having trouble with my rear wheel bearings. Ive just gone through the third set in less than two years doing average mileage. Ive fitted them as the haynes manual instucts, only hand tight. And checked the play of the washer to make sure i havent over tightened them.

Any suggestion on if ive fitted them wrong or what can be the cause of the bearing failure. Oh and the first set i change were for febi bilstien bearings and then the second set were SKF's.

Thanks,

Mike.

Cheap ones will only last months but genuine SKF's should last around 100k miles!

Are you working grease into the bearings before they are installed - this is critical and I was told by a VW tech to do this or they won't last.

I was also told to get them hand tight then tighten 1/4 of a turn with a wrench then back off and go back to hand tight so you can just move the washer - this takes out any slack first but won't damage the bearings. I've done this a few times now and never had to adjust the bearings although they should be checked after 500 miles.

If you are sure you are fitting them correctly then it's maybe damaged stub axles from previous bearing failure...