Sign in to follow this  
bigben

2 Litre bottom end

been told to put a 2 litre bottom end on mu 1.8 16v by more then one preson has anyone done this and has it worked??

Yes alot of people are doing its

and actually im fitting a 1.8 16v head onto my mates 2L bottom end this weekend :D

yeh im quite keen on this one too, what motor do you rip the 2l bottom end off, one boy said to me that some audi's came wi 2l 16v bottom end??

best engine to go for is the corrado 2L bottom end (9A engine) these were also fitted to Audi 80 sports (2.0 16v) and the passat (mainly 91 and 92 cars).

This engine is known as the 'bubble block' and is basically the 1.8 engine but with a slightly bulkier casting and has a big 2.0 on the back of it instead of the 1.8 of the KR 16v engine. Some 2.0L 8v engines may be suitable too(if they have the extra oil squirters of the 16v blocks), but will have a drive for the distributor off of the half shaft that needs blanking off.

boring a 1.8 engine to the same spec is totally reliable but new pistons, crank etc costs in the region of 800 quid which makes it a very expensive option. There aren't many good second hand 2.0 (9A) engines around these days as most are at least 10 years old though, and don't expect a tired bottom end to last long on a high revving 16v especially if you don't know it's history and then do things like gas flow the head and put higher lift cams in it ;)

David.

yeh im quite keen on this one too, what motor do you rip the 2l bottom end off, one boy said to me that some audi's came wi 2l 16v bottom end??

ok guys I know Majik is selling a very good 9A block for £400 that would perfect for this kind of thing

Also i would recomend using a 9A (VW) or 6A (audi) engine block. These are identical in outside apperance to the 1.8 16v engines but the internals i.e crank and conrads are different and way better designed

I would not recomend boring out the 1.8 16v to 2L as its really not worth the money or troubles plus you wont be able to really rev it past 65000rpm

If you take my engine its built on a passat 9A 16v engine and im able to rev upto 8000 rpm if i want to but have the limiter on 7500rpm

hope this helps