Sign in to follow this  
B41LEY

Help please! Temperature gauge and fan not working

Right, started the car up on friday evening after it had been parked in the works car park all day and the temperature gauge went straight to max and the coolant warning light began flashing. I checked the coolant level and it was fine, i then switched the engine off and the fan came on. The engine had only been running for a minute so therefore was not hot but the fan just kept running.

I called the AA out and they diagnosed a faulty temperature sensor. They said it would be ok for the short drive home (10 mins). After a couple of mins driving home the temperature gauge needle suddenly dropped from max to resting on the bottom.

I have replaced the temperature sensor (yellow 4 pin plug, vag part 701 919 369d) which i understand controls the temp gauge/fan control/aux water pump. However, when i start the car now the coolant warning light has stopped flashing - good, but the temperature gauge is not moving off the bottom and the fan is now not working!

My knowledge of car electronics is very poor but even i can understand that the fan isn't coming on because the temperature gauge thinks the coolant is cold so therefore the fan isn't needed to cool the engine.

Any suggestions what the next part i should replace should be??? Thanks Ian