Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Radiator Fan Query-Old 3 Pin plug into Slimline Fan 2 wires?

In the middle of fitting a 2nd hand Pro Alloy intercooler which has a slimline fan on a 91 G60. But my old fan was plugged into a 3 pin connector while the slimline fan just has two wires?

Just wondering if its possible to wire these together and if so which pin do I ignore or how do I get it to work from the three wires into two on the fan?

Any help appreciated as the car is sat on the drive in pieces? :(

The existing fan will have two speeds in built, so will therefore have one ground and two positive feeds; one of which will probably have an inbuilt resistor for the lower speed. This means the thermostat switch will also have two temperature triggers and 3-pins. (this is assuming the corrado circuitry is the same as mk1's/2's...).

So the way I see it, you have two options; 1. as you say connect both positive feeds together (obviously make sure you work out the circuits before doing this!) or 2. swap the thermostat switch for a 2-pin with just one trigger temp and adapt the loom slightly to suit.

Either way should work fine; you will just have one fan speed with both. The best bet to assist though is to refer to the good 'ol haynes circuit diagrams to work out what's going on and wire colours etc.

HTH! :)

never thought about this really, I guess feed 1 to the motor is run through a resistor (like the interior blower does for it's speeds) and feed 2 is just direct 12v, the rad switch providing the 2 temp switched circuits to the fan relay pack, which is hidden somewhere on the early cars IIRC, in front of the header tank on the late ones.

Thanks for the advice.

Due to time constraints ended up re-fitting the standard radiator and cowling. :salute: