Sign in to follow this  
hombre_paulo

ECU Reset and Odometer

Hi all,

I replaced the ISV on my VR6 last weekend and reset the ECU after I replaced, believe this was the right thing to do (drives better now anyway)

Anyhoo after the reset my odometer only shows --------. The trip computer works fine as does everything else on the cluster. Is there something I need to do after an ECU reset to get it back, or is it buggered!!

Paul

Well its been a few weeks and a couple of ECU resets and still no sign of the odometer springin back into life

Does anyone know what could cause this? The display lights up but just shows ------

Never seen that before I have to say.. wonder if the clocks got some weird power spike during the reconnection of the battery or something? Got a spare set of clocks to try?

Nah i dont, will the ECU still be clocking the miles, or is that stored on the clocks themselves?

The clocks store the numbers. The absence of a odometer signal is caused by one of two simple things:

1. the sender at the gearbox.

2. the MFA chip.

Now the VR6 uses a signal to drive the speedo from that sender. So if your speedo works, then the sender is fine. So its down to the clock set on the MFA display. If the chip is not regstering its speedo signals, then it wont present MPG, etc.

Im still not convinced the clocks could snap with a battery reset. Is there a chance you might have dropped the fusebox in the process? If so, it could be that the plugs responsible for the clocks are badly seated in the fusebox, or that the K lines are not fully seated. I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the wires to look for are grey with a blue tracer. Make sure none has dropped off its socket at the fusebox. If all looks well, then its probably the clock assy.