Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

Remanufactured engine mods & sources

Hi all,

just been doing some research on new engines and have prices from both VEGE and a place called Prestige Engines. Looking around £1700 for a remanufactured engine from both these people but obviously you can't modify the engine due to the guarantee.

My questions - does anyone know what these engines are like? I will ultimately wish to modify the engine (cams, chip etc) so any issues with that?

Alternatively I recall seeing a euro website that offers similar engines but already modified for purchase, anyone know of these sites? I cannot seem to find any.

Many thanks

James

I've got a VEGE engine in my VR. Had it fitted in Jan 08. I've done about 10k and am very happy with it. Doesnt use any oil and the engine pulls as it should.

I've got a VEGE engine in my VR. Had it fitted in Jan 08. I've done about 10k and am very happy with it. Doesnt use any oil and the engine pulls as it should.

That's great, any mods on it?

As everything will be transferred from the existing engine, current exhaust and intake mods will probably stay. I've already got - Magnex cat-back, Decat, K&N filter.

I'm more inclined to stick a cold air feed in the intake side, and maybe get hold of a 6 branch manifold, this will all be ok on the VEGE engine?

Also just wondering, if you had a garage fit it roughly how much did it cost?

Thanks,

James

The engine is standard. But I do have a 6 branch manifold and a CDA, that is it. Though they werent fitted until the engine was outside its warrenty period. Not sure if that would affect your warrenty or not.

Its worth changing the water pump and clutch whilst the old engine is out. In case youre not aware, VEGE will only sell you an engine on a exchange basis - your old engine for the new one plus what ever it costs.

I had a garage fit it that i know, but got it on 'mates rates' as such. He removed the ancillaries and old engine and refitted the new engine as and when he had the chance. So took him a week or so, he did me a deal on the price of fitting. So, i cant help you there, sorry.

I think I'll just try it and see, thanks for the help there mate.

I'd probably get the 6 branch and cold air intake at the same time the engine goes in, so it will run them from the start.

I'm hoping someone might know of companies that sell complete VR6 performance engines?

Thanks,

James