Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Replacing G60 front engine mount

What parts need to be removed to get access to the top bolt? Can you just get away with removing the fan & the 'charger to cooler' pipe?

Also, can the front mount be withdrawn easily by just undoing the bolts and jacking the engine to clear the mount? (with the std. mount that has a top stud as opposed to a threaded hole and a thu-bolt on some types)

I struggled on my mk2 with this, the engine was jacked as far up as it would go, and the engine bracket still fouled the thread on top of the mount, so I couldn't get it out without releasing the rear & gearbox mount (big job)

Hope that made sense,cheers

What parts need to be removed to get access to the top bolt? Can you just get away with removing the fan & the 'charger to cooler' pipe?

Also, can the front mount be withdrawn easily by just undoing the bolts and jacking the engine to clear the mount? (with the std. mount that has a top stud as opposed to a threaded hole and a thu-bolt on some types)

That's exactly how I did mine... 8)

Headlights out (for access and to prevent damage!)

Undo the 4 bolts on the fan shroud

Remove the charger -> I/C and I/C -> Throttle pipes

Take out the fan and shroud.

Undo mount bolts and nut

Jack up engine

Swap new mount in, and put everything back together again... 8)

It's a bit fiddly getting the new mount in, but definately not impossible or too much hassle.

Gearbox one is a sod to get at if you've got ABS as it's under the pump on a 'rado. :?

Basically to do the gearbox one on a 4cylinder 'rado:

Jack up gearbox side of the car and remove the wheel. (so you can get in at the mount!)

Undo the bottom bolts into the mount. Then the top ones.

Jack the gearbox up slowly, with a block of wood between the jack and the gearbox to stop damage to the box.

You should now be able to remove the mount, and get the new one in from underneith. 8)

Then you just need to bolt it all together... 8)

The rear engine mount I've not done in a conventional way. I removed the engine for a rebuild and will do the mount while it's out! :lol:

I think that the engine rear mount isn't too bad to do either, just make sure that the engine's not been run for a while or you'll burn yourself on the exhaust manifold!

There's 2 bolts to get at from undernieth, and then 3 on top... I have no idea how difficult it is to get out once it's undone though... :?

Good look! 8)

Changed my front mount at the weekend, was pretty straight forward apart from getting those fiddly fan housing bolts out!

It also a good idea to put duck tape on the slam panel else you end up scratching it when lifting the housing out :?

The old mount had totally gone, and the fluid just poured out of a gaping hole around the top stud!

The rear mount looks quite easy (easier than the mk2 golf solid mount anyway) it looks like it would just slide out with the bolts removed and the engine jacked slightly.

That's exactly how I did mine... 8)

Headlights out (for access and to prevent damage!)

Undo the 4 bolts on the fan shroud

Remove the charger -> I/C and I/C -> Throttle pipes

Take out the fan and shroud.

Undo mount bolts and nut

Jack up engine

Swap new mount in, and put everything back together again... 8)

It's a bit fiddly getting the new mount in, but definately not impossible or too much hassle.

I just did mine exactley the same way and thought I'd come in and write it up....but its already here. Easy peasy