Sign in to follow this  
Erickramirez

G60 grinds in reverse ONLY when warmed up?

this has been bothering me ever since i got my corrado. its a 90 and whenever i first start it up, reverse will NOT grind, but once i get it out and going and have to reverse somewhere, it WILL grind when i shift into it. sometimes its a small grind and sometimes its a loud grinding, but its always when the cars hot. i heard some people have to go into 2nd, then 1st, then reverse (or something like that) to avoid this, but my main question is, why does my car NOT grind when cold and grind when warmed up??? :mad2:

when your box is cold the oil will be too, meaning more friction so the lay shaft will probably not be spining or maybe only slightly, so reverse will go in fine, when the gearbox warms up the oil is much thinner so less friction so the layshaft will be spining quicker(in theory this should not happen because the clutch is dissengauged but it will always drag slightly) so when you go to put it into reverse the grinding is the gears trying to mesh.

one thing to check is that your clutch is working properly, if it is hydraulic try bleeding the gearbox cylinder.

When was the oil last changed?

I woud change it for the cheaper VW stuff, see if that makes any difference and then maybe try some Redline MT90

those boxes don't like to be rushed into reverse and with no synchro on reverse either they do like everything to be settled before popping in, I hate that sound though, makes you feel like people nearby think you have no idea what you are doing :)

I hate that sound though, makes you feel like people nearby think you have no idea what you are doing :)

Exactly! lol but oil has been recently changed and i also just installed a new master and slave cylinder not too long ago, but why does it only happen in reverse? the other 5 gears go in without a problem, and i always take my time going in reverse, but ill try bleeding the gearbox cylinder see if it makes a difference

like the guys above said, if the clutch drags even a tiny amount it's enough to spin things a bit in the box and with no synchro on reverse it will crunch, a new clutch might sort it but it doesn't seem worth going to that effort.