Sign in to follow this  
horney

Front Coolant FLange change help

Changing the front flange on my 2.0 16v at the weekend. Any hints and tips? I guess I need a gasket set for the inlet manifold as I'll have to take that off.

Nick

I think you can do it without but it's very awkward unless you have the front off the car so gasket set would be a good idea!

Make sure you get some new bolts too

you shouldn't need to take the inlet manifold off.

the flange should be held on with three hex head bolts, one or two can be a bit tricky to get at, especially if the hexes on the bolts have been rounded previously.

the flange should come with the o-ring too

I've managed this before with a compination of allen keys and allen sockets, def not taking the inlet off.

best to try freeing all three bolts slowly and carefully before attacking all the surrounding parts on the head, you might be lucky I've done a couple now and only took 10 minutes or so.

Sounds promising then. I did look at it and think it may be possible with the inlet on but I figured taking it all off would allow nice straight access with the allen heads on my socket set which would hopefully avoid any rounding issues cuased by going in at a funny angle. I'll have a go at getting my tools on them without actually loosening anything first.

I figured new bolts might be a good idea as well. Can you get these from GSF or ECP or is this a dealer only or screw fix type affair.

Nick

TBH I'd probably just go to VW for the bolts, although screwfix probably do an equivalent.

from what I remember, even with the manifold off one of the bolts is obstructed by the angle of the pipe anyway, bit of a PITA, but fortunately mine came out with an allen key so not being able to get my allen socket square on the head wasn't an issue.

Well the bolts are now obselete so screw fix it is. VW dealer kindly gave me the specs of them being M6 20mm.

Nick

2hrs! Top bolt was a real pig but I did it without removing the inlet stuff. Seems water tight so job's a gooden!

nick

I'm amazed the bolts are obsolete. I only did this job two years ago tops (and then had to do it again about 6 months later so bought all new bolts / kit again) and had no problems getting the bits.

We ended up taking the manifold off as it was a PITA to get to some of those bolts as you say mate.

Anyway - good job and glad it's all done :)

The old bolts were allen ones but they replaced them with standard hex head bolts and washers..

Well the guy at my local dealer who I use all the time said the computer came up with no longer available and listed no other alternatives. It's no hassle though as I re used the originals.

Nick

Well the bolts are now obselete so screw fix it is. VW dealer kindly gave me the specs of them being M6 20mm.

Nick

If anyone needs these in future they are not obsolete, current part number is N01021723 @ 21 pence each.

Nice one - getting a bit annoyed now at people on here saying stuff is obsolete when it's not!

I just ordered a full set of interior trim clips (around 25 different parts) and not one part was obsolete or on back order

Nice one - getting a bit annoyed now at people on here saying stuff is obsolete when it's not!

I just ordered a full set of interior trim clips (around 25 different parts) and not one part was obsolete or on back order

Well I've picked them up today, the good news is you no longer need hex bits as they are standard bolts. Downside is the ones I've got to get off are :)

Personally I think half the problem with "obsolete" parts is the dealers not really wanting to spend time finding or cross referencing things.