Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

What else stops a fan running ?

Ok, I've got a 1.8 valver and I was wondering what else controls the fan.

I've replaced the fan, I've changed the fuse and I'm going to do the thermoswitch at the weekend. Before I get to carried away is there anything else I should think about checking or changing?

Radiator fan switch definitely needs changing next.

Have you tried bridging the connectors on the fan with a bit of wire to see if it works?

Radiator fan switch definitely needs changing next.

Have you tried bridging the connectors on the fan with a bit of wire to see if it works?

Not my cup of tea, knowing me I'd use the wrong grade of wire and have some hot plastic :) I've got a new one anyway so I'm just going to change the thermoswitch regardless.

20 second job mate - you can't screw it up! :)

Just disconnect the plug that connect to the switch in the radiator and bridge pins 1+3 together with something reasonably thick cable wise. Hell, even a paperclip will do it. The fan should come roaring on at top speed immediately.. if that works then you know the fan is ok and change the fan switch :)

When you change it, don't forget to get a replacement washer for it. VW will try and sell you a copper washer which is not so great - try and get them to search through ETKA for the MK2 Golf and you can get a much better fibre washer which costs pennies and seals much better!

I've only just discovered this recently, after 13 years of maintaining a 1.8 valver :lol: ,but there is a fan control relay on or near the fuseboard on the 1.8s apparently, I'm wondering whether this may be a related problem.

Unfortunately I haven't investigated exactly how it interacts with the fan running circuit, it's allegedly just for the run on when the engine is turned off, but may interact to cause problems.

I've only just discovered this recently, after 13 years of maintaining a 1.8 valver :lol: ,but there is a fan control relay on or near the fuseboard on the 1.8s apparently, I'm wondering whether this may be a related problem.

Unfortunately I haven't investigated exactly how it interacts with the fan running circuit, it's allegedly just for the run on when the engine is turned off, but may interact to cause problems.

I'm happy to report that it appears to have been the thermoswitch in my case, however to be sure I have also replaced the fan (with a newer but 2nd hand one) and I've got the run-on sensor on order with the local dealer. I've had to many problems with cooling so I'm just going to replace as much as I can to be sure.