Sign in to follow this  
ANDREW 30

Knocking noise from drivers side front wheel area!

As above, i've got a strange knocking noise coming from my drivers side front wheel area.

I've recently had all new suspension fitted, with top mounts etc.

I'm quite sure it's not the cv joint, as the problem is'nt when the cars on full lock. Also i don't think it's a bearing as it's only heard at low speeds of up to about 20 mph!

So has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Thanks Andrew

Has the vibration damper ring on the drive shaft come adrift, its a heavy steel ring thats moulded to the drive shaft with rubber which eventually perishes & then the ring moves down the drive shaft behind the wheel & knocks on various parts.

Mick

When i had the suspension fitted i also had eibach arbs fitted and the front had new drop links fitted.

And the wheels are deffinetly done up!

So i'm looking at vibration damper rings, which i don't think it will be as i had a good look under the car a few days ago when it was up on a ramp.

So the most likely is the bottom ball joints or wishbone rubbers, how easy are they to change and are they expensive?

When you say 'all new suspension' does that mean you've had new wishbones, bushes, balljoints, track rod ends and anything else that moves under the front of the car, or do you mean you had new dampers and top mounts?

If it's only occured since the dampers were fitted I would suspect a spring maybe not seated correctly - I'd take it back to where they were done for diagnosis