Sign in to follow this  
xnology

A timing wrench is born

I have been out of the Corrado scene for a while after shoulder surgery. All patched up and ready to get back into it.

I needed to time my green G60 to get her on the road. I am fed-up with the old torched and bent 13mm wrench to tighten the bolt under the distributor.

I made this yesterday. I am going to re-cut another today just so it is cleaned up where I like it.

Lasers are the ultimate prototyping toy!

Enjoy! :D

timing.gif

It's good to be back!

Having trouble shifting this particular bolt on my G60, not surprising I guess as it hadnt been touched since it left the factory in 1992. Have been soaking it in penetrating oil from above & under the clamp although its very tight down there.

Looking at it today I wonder wether the threaded hole in the block casting is open to the elements on the underside as it sticks out slightly, if it is I may be able to spray penetrant in from that end as well although the little pipe that comes with the can isnt very long. I can get a standard 13mm ring on the bolt head but I cant shift it at the moment.

guess I better get a can of spinach & try again.

Album - there should be a plastic cover over it to protect plus it should only be nipped up.

I use a Flexible Headed ratchet spanner (Halfords) - try one of these if you have one, the ratchet allows you to get a bit of mechanical advantage on it.

Hi supercharged, yes I have removed the plastic cover to reveal the bolt head & it may have been just nipped up 18years ago but time & corrosion have stuck it well & truly. I have got some flexi head ratchet spanners, they are marvelous tools, will keep spraying with penetrant & try again. Its booked into my local backstreet VW garage in a couple of weeks, they are very good, but if I can just loosen this bolt myself I will enjoy fitting the new distributor, & re-timing it.

Cheers Mick

Ah ok - maybe not been timed in 18 years then!!

I suppose that's posible if you're careful doing cambelt changes etc...

The other thing to do would be to give yourself more access - which isn't easy on a G60, I think you'd have to remove the fan?

Yes I did remove the piece of plastic with the vacuum diagrams on it & the charger pipe to the plastic pipe to the intercooler which gave better access from above but the size of spanner is limited by the fan/radiator etc down by the distributor, as you rightly say access is difficult. Just had a quick look at the fan/cowling which seem to be bolted to the radiator with 4 bolts one of which by the fan temp sensor looks tricky to get at. Dont know if its possible to get the fan & cowling out without draining down the coolant because the top radiator hose is above?

The garage got the old one out, said "the bolt was a bit tight" when I asked & went on "the distributor body was seized in the block they always are & you just have to wiggle about until it eventually frees" then he said "its a bugger getting the new one in engaging the skew gear & then the oil pump drive is a bit fiddly". Sounds like it was a real pain in the arse job, didnt feel so bad about paying the £117 it cost me in the end.